Away is a global lifestyle brand with a mission to transform travel through products & content that inspire people to get away more. In support of our mission, we are seeking a Director, Payroll, Benefits & Compliance to join our People & Culture team.
Want to help us transform the travel experience? The ideal candidate will have had experience in payroll operations & tax, national benefit plans, and local compliance laws. You will report to VP, People & Culture based in our New York City office.
As a company that values diversity, equity, & inclusion, Away seeks individuals of all backgrounds & experiences to apply for this opportunity. Were creating an environment where everyone can thrive. Our customers are global & diverse, so were building a team that is too. Through initiatives like our employee resource groups, Anti-racism training & bias prevention initiatives, were building the cultural foundation that gives people the emotional & physical space to bring their authentic selves to work.
What youll do:
- Oversee payroll to ensure timely & accurate processing of payroll transactions for all locations & entities (US, UK, Canada, Greater China)
- Oversee payroll taxation best practices, as well as comply with federal, state, & local legal requirements, by researching or seeking counsel on existing & new legislation, enforcing adherence to requirements, & advising management on needed actions.
- Create scalable infrastructure for reporting & analysis requirements, & oversee payroll audit.
- Develop & maintain proper internal control over Employee Master Data maintenance & payroll processing (in partnership with our Finance team)
- Set short & long-term retirement, health & wellbeing strategy & plan design in alignment with overall business strategy.
- Engage in regular benchmarking activities & assessing the marketplace against current & future employee needs & best practices to maintain competitive programs & services
- Oversee administration of all benefits programs
- Manage 401K to ensure proper handling of employees enrollment, loans, repayments, distributions, rollovers, & payroll contributions; provide yearly census & compliance testing to 401K provider; assist with year-end filing of Form 5500 & employee match program.
- Maintain compliance with federal, state, & local laws regarding benefits & compensation
- Be a strategic thought leader as we implement our future of work strategy, creatively adapting to new ways of workings & advising on payroll, benefit or compliance best practices
- Have a deep understanding of the business & be a thought leader on people & organizational topics within your dedicated team
Who you are:
- 8+ years progressive experience as a Payroll & Benefits manager at a medium to large enterprise, with management experience.
- ADP Payroll knowledge & experience preferred but not required; must have deep knowledge & experience working with payroll vendors & platform technologies
- Extremely strong communicator & project manager with a passion for employee experience & satisfaction.
- Strong knowledge & experience with US labor law, tax & compliance as well as all federal & state regulations, filing & compliance requirements, including COBRA, FMLA, & DOL/FLSA requirements.
- Detail oriented, deadline driven & work well under pressure with a high degree of accuracy.
- Capacity to thrive in a high-growth, fast-paced organization as both a solo producer & an eager collaborator with employees of all levels of experience & seniority, across the organization.
- Highly discreet when dealing with sensitive employee payroll & benefit matters.
- Solution-seeker that displays outstanding judgment, critical thinking & project management skills
Youll love working at Away because:
- We travel. We encourage you to take time to recharge outside of the office. Youll have generous PTO to explore new places & access to Away products to ensure your travels are seamless. And once youre here for three years, youll earn a sabbatical & a bonus to take a well-deserved trip.
- Were not just employees. Were people. We offer insurance coverage (health, vision, & dental), tax savings plans for retirement, dependent care, commuter benefits, generous & inclusive parental leave, & a kitchen stocked with organic snacks & coffee.
- Well invest in your career. Our companys growing quickly, & well give you the opportunity to do the same. Youll have access to a number of professional development opportunities so that you can keep up with the companys evolving needs.
- Were creating an environment where everyone can thrive. Our customers are global & diverse, so were building a team that is, too. Through initiatives like our employee resource groups, our new office in downtown Manhattan, & more, were building the cultural foundation that gives people the emotional & physical space to bring their best selves to work.
- We offer competitive compensation packages. We deeply value the talent our team brings to the table, & believe that fair & equitable total compensation packages are part of our commitment to everyone who works here.
- And so much more! You can bring your dog to work. We organize ways to give back to our local communities.