Common is the nations leading residential brand offering convenience & community through coliving & traditional apartments. Our signature tech-enabled property management allows us to deliver unparalleled experiences across 40+ buildings, 7 cities, & over 1,500 members. Common is the preferred choice for both residents looking for a stress-free & all-inclusive living environment, & for real estate owners seeking reliable, above-market returns. Launched in October 2015, we now operate homes in New York City, Chicago, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Oakland, Seattle, & Washington, D.C., & receive over 15,000 new member applications per month.
Its an exciting time to be part of Commons team. We challenge ourselves every day not just to think about ways to make city living better, but to activate those ideas in meaningful ways. Our team is comprised of real estate professionals, designers, engineers, salespeople, marketers, client service representatives, & so much more. We work collaboratively, value self-startership, & embrace a whatever it takes mentality to ensure our work is done & done well. Common sits squarely at the intersection between technology & real estate, working every day to build quality residential solutions that bring positive change to the worlds rental housing crisis.
Common was founded by Brad Hargreaves & has raised $65MM in venture funding. Brad is a visionary leader with vast experience in the technology & service space, previously founding the education company General Assembly.
To follow the latest Common news, get to know our community of residents, & learn about what its like to work at Common, you can follow us on Instagram, Linkedin, & Twitter. To see more open roles & hear from Common employees check out our Careers Page.
About the Role
Common is seeking a hard-working, motivated individual to join our growing Finance Team. As the Property Accounting Manager, you will play a key role in building out the processes & procedures around accounting & financial reporting for Commons portfolio of homes. The Property Accounting Manager will be responsible for managing a team of regional property accountants, as well as overseeing the hiring of additional property accountants as the Company continues to grow.
This position will report to the VP of Finance & will work closely with Operations & Corporate Accounting to produce monthly financial reporting packages for Commons Real Estate Partners.
- Manage & oversee the daily operations of a team of regional property accountants
- Ensure the team is meeting accounting & reporting close deadlines for all of Commons managed properties (varies based on ownership)
- Work cross-functionally to ensure the unique terms of each management agreement are appropriately reflected in the financial reporting
- Review & sign off on completed reporting packages, supporting workpapers, reconciliations, etc.
- Establish & enforce proper accounting methods, policies, & procedures for Commons managed properties
- Maintain an accurate & auditable set of books & records so Operations can pull timely, precise reporting
- Identify areas of inefficiency & make recommendations for process improvement
- Bachelors Degree in finance or accounting
- 10+ years of relevant experience in residential property accounting
- Experience working directly with clients & the ability to confidently discuss cash flows, bad debt, & other operational & financial metrics
- Ability to work effectively under pressure, thrive in a fast-paced environment, manage time, & prioritize multiple tasks & projects to meet deadlines.
- A roll up your sleeves & get the job done mentality while simultaneously handling the more complicated aspects of property accounting
- Management experience required
- Advanced knowledge of Yardi required, experience with Netsuite a plus
- Comfortable working cross-departmentally to get things done.
- Emotional Intelligence
- Scrappy & resourceful problem solver
- A team player with a can-do attitude
What We Offer
Common truly values our employees & wants to do everything to ensure that our employees are not only happy & professionally fulfilled, but also that they have the opportunity to be healthy. Because of this, we are committed to providing a number of affordable & valuable health & wellness benefits for our employees such as paid vacation & sick time, medical, dental & vision insurance, Company paid life insurance, Company paid STD/LTD, FSA + HSA options, commuter transit benefits, paid parental leave & a 401K. Additional benefits such as equity, paid holidays, a fully stocked kitchen, job training + development opportunities + a great wellness program are also available. And as always, we are regularly evaluating our offerings to ensure employees' needs are being met.
We are committed to affirmatively providing equal opportunity to all associates & qualified applicants without regard to race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, legally protected physical or mental disability, military or veteran status or any other basis protected under applicable federal or state law.