Codecademy was started in 2011 by two college students in a dorm room at Columbia that were frustrated by the huge gap between education & employment. Almost a decade later, we are a rapidly growing, diverse team of 100+ headquartered in SoHo, NYC. Weve raised over $40m in venture capital funding from top investors including Union Square Ventures, Kleiner Perkins, Naspers, Y Combinator, & more.
If you want to help build a business that impacts tens of millions of people each year & helps them lead better lives, join us!
The Web Platform Team focuses on maintaining the speed, stability, & maintainability of the user-facing aspects of the Codecademy product. We provide the product engineering teams with the tools & support they need to build great experiences for our Learners. Together, we build & maintain frontend architectural patterns, shared frontend libraries like our component library, & tooling like TypeScript & Webpack.
In this role, you will motivate & inspire your team to work on interesting projects related to scalability, reliability, & security as we deliver products & features that empower our learners around the world. You will need to execute on project goals by being a technical resource to your engineers as well as actively contributing to our learner experience. Clear communication as an Engineering Manager is key as you will not only be leading your specific team but collaborating across engineering teams within the company.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
- Hire & build an engineering team that is driven by the mission & vision that you champion for the team
- Work with individual engineers to define career goals & align their ambitions with relevant projects & tasks
- Guide your team on architecting & authoring services across our platform that enable our users to achieve their learning goals
- Improve the scalability & efficiency of our infrastructure
- Collaborate with other teams to get ahead of cross-team dependencies
- Contribute to engineering team-wide process improvements & automation
WHAT YOU'LL NEED
- 2+ years of management experience
- Previous experience hiring technical talent
- 3+ years of experience working in a frontend or fullstack facing role
- You know your browser APIs & optimizing for frontend performance is a challenge you'll gladly accept
- Experience with NoSQL (MongoDB) & SQL (Postgres) databases
- Previous performance management & career goal setting experience
- Previous experience working with cross functional teams
WHAT WILL MAKE YOU STAND OUT
- Teaching and/or structured tutoring experience
- Experience utilizing Codecademys Platform
- Experience creating & implementing design systems
- Youve contributed to the open-source frameworks we use (e.g. React, Redux, Typescript, Emotion)
At Codecademy, we are committed to teaching people the skills they need to upgrade their careers. Codecademy aims to educate a richly diverse demographic of learners with our product & in order to accomplish this, we believe our team should reflect that rich diversity. Our company celebrates diversity in all of its forms-- race, gender, color, national origin, marital status, sexuality, religion, veteran status, age, ability, disability status-- & works to create an inclusive workplace where people of all backgrounds & beliefs are empowered to better their futures.