Databases are the beating heart of every business in the world.
Cockroach Labs is the creator of CockroachDB, the most highly evolved cloud-native, distributed SQL database on the planet that scales fast, survives anything, & thrives anywhere. We created CockroachDB to unshackle teams from the constraints of their database. Join us on our mission to enable every developer to build world-changing applications!
About the role
The Product Design team at Cockroach Labs is responsible for creating a scalable consumer-grade UX that makes data easy for all users of CockroachDB. We're seeking a Product Designer to help shape the future of our Observability product area, specifically focused on Data Interfaces that affect the overall Developer Experience. Your design work will provide users with a delightful experience for observing & troubleshooting the most pressing questions about their clusters' health & query performance.
- You will manage design projects across the entire product design lifecycle, from proposing initial concepts to shipping high-quality features; contributing to all aspects of design, including research, testing, interaction design, & visual design.
- You will use data to find effective opportunities to improve existing Cockroach products.
- You will collaborate with a small multi-disciplinary team that includes UX researchers, curriculum developers, tech writers, product managers, engineers, & business partners who share your passion for delivering great experiences for our users.
- You will help maintain & iterate on our design system with other product designers, & advocate for scalable design solutions with frontend engineers.
In your first 30 days, youll meet with your Product Design mentor, who will provide the tools, guidance, support, & feedback you need to thrive as you become more embedded into our culture. Additionally, you'll go through our Cockroach University training program & spend time getting familiar with the specific developer & industry problems our team is solving. You'll learn how to use the Cockroach Labs Design System & UX Research Hub. You'll review any in-flight projects & begin to tackle some smaller tasks in the design backlog. You'll begin building relationships with the other product designers, engineers, product managers, & members of the broader organization that you'll be working with day-to-day. You & the Head of Product Design will have the first of many long-term career planning conversations to understand your goals & how Cockroach Labs can best help you achieve them.
After 60 days (if not sooner), youll be fully integrated into the team. You will own major design decisions for our interfaces, partnering closely with other product designers. Youll ensure that our design values & iterative processes are clearly understood & built into every design decision made.
- 5+ years of experience designing enterprise and/or complex consumer applications
- Proven track record of success in building engaging products & can showcase your work. (A balanced understanding of strategy, research, interaction & visual design is a must for the role)
- Leadership in an iterative design process that includes accepting & acting on feedback & constructive criticism
- Experience in ownership of projects & communicating timelines & executing independently. Experience working with common design tools (Figma, Sketch, Zeplin)
- Experience using an established internal Design System.
- Ability to communicate & collaborate on cross-functional teams.
- Bonus: Experience designing for a database product
- Bonus: Experience using Segment, Snowflake, & Looker for data capture
The Product Design team currently consists of five product designers with a wide range of backgrounds & skill sets including UX research, service Design, illustration & of course, baking . We're looking to expand our team to keep up with the businesss recent acceleration. Some key individuals you'll work with after joining are:
Reporting to Jeremy Bloom - Head of Product Design
Jeremy Bloom heads up the Product Design team at Cockroach Labs. He is responsible for our design process, system, & strategy. Before Cockroach, Jeremy was a Principal Product Designer at Percolate, designing enterprise Saas experiences for Marketers. Prior to Percolate, Jeremy led the design for American Express iOS, Apple Watch, & Android applications at Kettle. When hes not at work, Jeremy is probably reading a book, getting in some exercise, or spending time with his wife, son, & 3-legged pup Carl.
Key Partner - Anne Birzin - Senior Staff Product Designer
Anne Birzin is a Sr. Staff Product Designer at Cockroach Labs, working with the SQL Observability team to make it easy for developers to troubleshoot query performance when using CockroachDB. Previously, Anne was a Sr. Product Designer at Squarespace where she worked on designing Customer Relationship Management tools for business owners. Anne loves finding simple solutions to complex problems, learning new tools & technologies, drawing & exploring NYC bakeries.
- 100% health insurance coverage (for you & your dependents!)
- Paid parental leave (with baby bucks)
- Flex Fridays
- Flexible time off & flexible hours
- Education reimbursement
- Relocation support (or coworking & home office allowances if youre fully remote!)
Cockroach Labs is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer building a diverse & inclusive workforce. If you need additional accommodations to feel comfortable during your interview process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.