About the role:
Develop assortment, pricing, merchandising, marketing & product strategies to deliver to sales & profit goals & grow market share for your category.
Drive team of category specialists to execute your strategies & iterate as needed, using effective communication & clear strategies.
Determine white space in assortment/brands & secure partnerships to cover these using national brands or private brand partners.
Own vendor relationships & strategically drive vendors to create unique assortments, deliver best-in-market pricing & ensure fast delivery.
Build aspirational product stories & marketing assets, working with marketing partners to build traffic drivers for distinct customer profiles.
Build best-in-class item content for entire assortment through efficient item set-up management.
- Ensures online presence supports desired shopper/customer experience for products within a moderately-to-highly complex category across multiple websites, including product presentation, content, customer reviews & enhancements.
Market Positioning & Analytics:
- Manages analysis for a moderately-to-highly complex category, including themes & competitive landscape, to stay on the cutting edge of product & eCommerce advancements impacting own category
- Understands category site selection & product gaps in the category; works with team to close gaps
- Continually evolves the categorys assortment strategy & logistics experience by leveraging analytics & through in-market expertise
- Owns & optimizes the product sourcing mix across manufacturers, distributors & third-party retailers, & manages warehouse inventory levels for directly-sourced product
- Supports GM in developing data-driven business plan for a moderately-to-highly complex category with tangible execution steps
- Manages budgets, sets priorities & implements savings opportunities
- Ensures achievement of category financial targets (e.g. GMV & margin), & identifies (and executes upon) levers to achieve those targets
- Supports GM in managing P&L
- Manages all performance metrics for a moderately-to-highly complex category
- Oversees the creation & maintenance of all item set up to ensure product line is accurately depicted in multiple systems for sales tracking for a moderately-to-highly complex category
- Monitors product & category performance to identify improvement area & develops plans to drive enhanced results
- Demonstrates expertise in multiple systems & sites throughout the category
- Defines success for a moderately-to-highly complex category & engages team to deliver business results consistent with category strategy
- Works with GM to ensure vision & strategy are aligned with the broader organization; Supports GM with strategy development as needed
- Negotiates product costs, volume, etc. with brands for a moderately-to-highly complex category
- Ensures proper distribution & pricing across warehouses & distributors for a moderately-to-highly complex category
- Develops partnerships with retailers for a moderately-to-highly complex category
- Develops deep expertise in inventory Management, Planning, & Site Merchandising as key to customer experience ownership for a moderately-to-highly complex category
- Works with editors, writers & content sources to ensure category has the appropriate content, reviews & shop-ability features
- Collaborates with marketing team around category promotions
- Builds & leads a team to execute on business area or category objectives
- Coaches team members & provides feedback to enhance skills, knowledge & work performance
- Has performance & career development conversations
- Maintains team motivation & engagement
- Mentors Category Specialists
- Empowers associates within a moderately-to-highly complex category to execute their tasks & make decisions by trusting their capabilities, expertise & encouraging learning
- Encourages & helps others to improve on current ways of working, promotes new & innovative ideas & recognizes/rewards good ideas
Bachelors degree in business, retail or related field & 3 years experience in business, retail or related field OR 5 years of experience in business, retail or related field.
2 years supervisory experience
6+ years of proven experience in merchandise, forecasting & product selection
4-5 years managing an ecommerce business, with specific experience related to marketing & site optimization
2-3 years developing strong business relationships with vendors & industry leaders
1-2 years experience managing & maintaining an open-to-buy