Design at Instacart
Every year, people across the world spend nearly one trillion dollars on groceries. Its an industry thats been around for centuries. Food itself, however, has been a constant in peoples lives since the beginning of time. Yes, sustenance is essential, but its also much more than that. Food can be a part of a daily ritual or a special moment that resonates with people on a meaningful & emotional level. It can be a much-needed break in a long day, a taste that brings back memories, a creative experiment, a shared meal with loved ones, or even comfort during a hard time. Whether its a special occasion or an everyday occurrence, it should always be easy for people to get the ingredients & the inspiration they need.
The Instacart Design Team is dedicated to making grocery shopping effortless for everyone & finding solutions to large-scale challenges that will forever change the way people feed themselves & their loved ones.
We are currently seeking a Senior User Researcher to act as a player-coach, supporting the immediate needs of the Retail product teams in Toronto while assessing future staffing needs & helping the research team build capacity. This is a leadership role with a great deal of opportunity for growth. You will work closely with the Retail Design Manager, & be supported by the full research team in SF. Senior User Researchers at Instacart have tremendous opportunity to shape the direction of the product with user-driven change & development. You will be joining a rapidly growing research team in an organization with great enthusiasm & appetite for insights.
The Retail Team
At Instacart, our retail design team delivers the best possible white-label experiences for both our grocery partners & their customers. We work with major brands across North America, & our online grocery platform enables retailers to build & merchandize their digital storefront. We work across the full product funnel, including the positioning of our retail solutions within the suite of our larger Instacart product spectrum, sales enablement, core platform optimization & extensions, & the internal operational & business tools that our grocers rely on.
For our customer audience, our design team focuses on understanding the core journeys of our retailer's grocery customers, from first point of contact through to re-engaging churned users. The optimization of key moments in these customer journeys propagate across our platform offering. Its our job as designers on this team to build a platform that helps retailers build their unique business while providing excellent service to their customers.
ABOUT THE JOB
Your day to day:
- Act in a consultative & advisory role to product managers, designers, & engineers on the product team to identify research topics & proactively plan generative & evaluative research
- Define success metrics, goals & testable hypotheses, then plan research activities based on those definitions
- Independently execute multi-phased research projects end-to-end, including writing screeners & scripts, moderating user interviews, analyzing & synthesizing findings, & making strong recommendations to the team
- Work with other research-related functions such as market research, data science, & analytics to triangulate & contextualize user research findings
- Identify meaningful insights that fuel improvements to our product features & ignite new ones
- Communicate & present insights to various stakeholders in a clear & persuasive manner
- Ensure research is integrated into the product development process wherever it can have a meaningful impact
- Facilitate & help shape the research & design process
- Identify opportunities for research to have greater impact across product teams & throughout the organization
- Support other researchers by collaborating on research plans & participating in pilot sessions
- Mentor junior researchers as they support collaborative research efforts & execute independent projects
We rely on our values to guide our decisions: Solve for the Customer, Every Minute Counts, This is Your Baby, Go Far, Together & Of Course, But Maybe. What does this mean for your role? We are looking for someone who has:
- 5+ years conducting research in a consumer-focused product organization - bonus points if the product served multiple customer types
- Deep understanding & experience with various qualitative & quantitative research methodologies & techniques such as contextual inquiries & interviewing, usability testing, surveys, workshop facilitation, usage data analysis & triangulation
- Experience managing & prioritizing concurrent projects involving cross-functional teams
- Experience dealing with high levels of organizational complexity, working directly with product managers, designers, & engineers, taking into account business & technical constraints when planning research & making recommendations
- Clear & compelling presentation skills with proven ability to integrate insights into product design & a user-centered design practice
- Ability to work flexibly & efficiently, executing rigorous research in a timely manner
- Extreme organizational & time-management skills
- Ability to use research insights to develop personas, journey maps & process flows
- A passion for user research, the user, & a truly collaborative spirit
- Ability to self-manage, self-motivate & deal with large amounts of complexity & ambiguity
- Willingness to do whatever needs to be done, from recruiting & managing technical setup for a study to training engineers, designers, & PMs to help with data collection for large-scale user research projects
- Advanced degree desired; minimum of Bachelor's degree in Psychology, Cognitive Science, Human-Computer Interaction, Design, Human Factors, Anthropology, a related field or equivalent experience
Benefits & Perks
- Talented & collaborative coworkers who will both push & support you
- Market competitive salary, equity
- Medical, dental, vision benefits
- Brand-new brick-and-beam office in Liberty Village (a complete second floor in the Carpet Factory filled with natural light, many gathering spaces & meeting rooms, & a small private gym)
- Free lunch in the office; fully stocked kitchen & snack pantry
- Personal growth plans that let you stretch yourself or grow in new directions
- Take what you need vacation (and we really mean it!)
- Instacart Express Membership
GET A TASTE OF INSTACART
Founded in 2012, Instacart is the leader in North American online groceries & one of the fastest-growing companies in e-commerce. Our same-day delivery & pickup services bring everyday essentials & fresh groceries to consumers in the U.S. & Canada in as fast as an hour. We have partnered with more than 300 beloved national, regional & local retailers to deliver from more than 20,000 stores across more than 5,500 cities in North America.
We believe that great people are the ingredients for success. We like to think that were like a potluckeveryone brings something new, different, & flavourful to the table. We believe that just as meals are best shared together, success is best shared together. Our mix of thoughtful, inventive & neighbourly employees work together to deliver our common goal: To make grocery shopping effortless for everyone. If this resonates with you, then Instacart just might be the place for you. Welcome home.
Instacart is committed to fostering a diverse work environment & proud to be an equal opportunity employer. As we highly value diversity in our current & future employees, we do not discriminate (including in our hiring & promotion practices) on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, gender expression , sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status or any other characteristic protected by law.