Experience: Undergraduate Juniors up to Masters students
Education: Currently pursuing Bachelor's or Master's degree in a rigorous Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or other highly-technical field of
Position Type: 10 Weeks
PDT Partners a quantitative investment manager - is seeking talented students for internships focused on Platform Engineering (systems, network engineering, DevOps, infosec, container orchestration, etc.). Our custom-designed program enables students to contribute to our technology-critical, algorithmic trading business while honing their technical skills.
Students will work closely with highly accessible & supportive senior engineers for every project. Mentors are deeply technical hands-on engineers who provide guidance during the project, & they are available for design sessions, discussions, & learning throughout the program.
The program's social events - PDT summer picnic, movie nights, ice cream social, bowling night, Yankees/Mets games, board game nights, food-centric activities, & access to variety of affinity groups all provide excellent opportunities to get to know our team. Even in the instance of a remote internship, we make sure to plan regular events to build a strong sense of camaraderie.
PDT is a fun & collaborative community of passionate engineers, science fiction fans, musicians, martial artists, extreme-sports enthusiasts, volunteers, & foodies who enjoy a non-hierarchical, professional environment. Diversity, equity, inclusion, & philanthropy are part of the fabric of our firm. Part of why were able to maintain our unique culture is because were committed to hiring kind people, maintaining a community that fosters a sense of belonging, & using our good fortune to help others outside of PDT.
- Faced problems that don't have well-defined solutions - creativity is essential to come up with the best possible answers, including ones that explore new technologies
- Learned about the infrastructure needed to support a quantitative trading business
- Gained experience with multicast market data distribution
- Analyzed the latency impact of network buffering
- Applied machine learning to log data sets into order to determine behavioral anomalies
- Automated the provisioning of cloud infrastructure, including compute, services, & storage
- Developed GitOps-driven configuration management for consistent global deployments at scale
- Added core components to our cloud-based Kubernetes infrastructure
- Analyze alternatives for audio & video conferencing
- Infrastructure automation with Python, PowerShell, etc.
Ideal candidates wish to learn more about or are already familiar with:
- Using software & automation to solve problems
- Distributed computing, including hybrid cloud architectures
- Operating Systems, including low-level performance tuning & analysis
- Global hybrid networking, including automated configuration & packet analysis
- Petascale storage systems
- Information security
- SaaS solution integration
Additional skills & attributes required
- Interest in working in a world-class, professional environment
- Smart, fast-learner, intellectually curious, problem-solving approach
- Can-do attitude, with sense of urgency
- Strong verbal & written communication skills
- Committed to improvement & keen to apply constructive feedback
- Excellent academic background from a rigorous & challenging computer science program