At Teachers Pay Teachers (TpT), we're unlocking the power of educator-created content. TpT gives educators access to a trusted, one-of-a-kind community. We are the world's first marketplace of our kind & founded by a teacher, for teachers as the go-to platform for teacher-created content for nearly 15 years. We are currently serving more than 7.5 million users & more than 85% of U.S. teachers. TpT is focused on building the next generation of e-learning experiences for millions of students & teachers across the world. If you haven't heard of TpT yet & want to learn more, just ask any teacher!
Over the last several years TpT has grown from a marketplace into a multi-product ed-tech company & having a robust technical platform is critical to innovation & our impact on teachers. As a senior software engineer on the Service Framework team, youll set the bar for high quality applications by making it easy for services to be reliable, observable & scalable. Were learning more about service oriented architectures & tackling problems like eventing in microservices & effective documentation for APIs while also creating automation & libraries that improve the developer experience in a distributed environment. With dozens of services, nearly 100 engineers & millions of daily users, this role will have an impact at scale.
- As a member of a development team youll be expected to take part in contributing software that meets the requirements & delivers on engineering priorities through direct contributions as well as code reviews, pairing & other practices.
- As a senior engineer you will support a healthy & inclusive team culture that emphasizes continuous learning, mentorship, & empowerment. Provide feedback & mentorship to your team members & colleagues with varied levels of experience.
- Contribute to the maintenance & operation of the systems the team owns by regularly participating in an on-call rotation.
- Lead projects that will include multiple engineers & impact multiple teams, ensuring the overall goals of the project are clear, regularly communicating progress & challenges with stakeholders, & resolving the typical issues that come up along the way.
- Continuously gather feedback from your team & the organization to identify & prioritize the right thing to work on, especially identifying upcoming challenges or opportunities to align your projects with company objectives & goals.
Qualities of a successful candidate:
- Experience developing software in multiple programming languages & technologies, especially the NodeJS runtime, serverless, & async workflows.
- Experience in building shared libraries & services used by highly scalable backend systems that continue to evolve past their initial implementation.
- Experience identifying emerging challenges, proposing solutions, & driving adoption of those solutions across teams with separate priorities.
- Excellent written & verbal communication skills that accelerate adoption of tools & ideas. You have demonstrated these skills through presentations, design documents, blog posts & other technical communication.
- Willingness to ask questions that help you & others learn & grow together, challenge assumptions that arent validated & clarify the goals of projects, teams & the company.
Benefits & Perks:
At TpT, we believe the positive experience of employees is essential to growth, both individually & collectively. To achieve our mission of Empowering Educators to Teach at Their Best, we must also empower the members of our TpT Team to work at their best. To that end, two of our core company values are We Learn & Grow Together & We Enjoy the Journey. Weve committed to these values & to our employees through investing in added benefits & perks:
- Comprehensive Medical, Vision & Dental Benefits
- Free Telemedicine Membership - 24/7 access to trusted medical advisors
- Generous PTO & Wellness Days
- 5 Week Recharge Leave after 5 Years, to refresh & celebrate the impact youve had at TpT
- Generous Parental Leave (for new parents) for time to adjust to parenthood, plus additional six weeks for the birth parent
- Onsite Mothers Room
- Employee Resource Groups (ERGs) to promote employee inclusivity & belonging
- Engineering Learning Fridays (ELF), to provide a space each week for Engineering teams to collaborate & learn from each other
- Professional Development Stipend, to support the professional growth of employees (including - but not limited to - subscriptions, books, lectures, etc.)
- Annual Company Events (Camp TpT, Field Day, Hackathons, Holiday Party, Summer Picnic, Classroom Visits, etc.)
Here at TpT we value Diversity & Inclusion & encourage people to bring their most authentic selves to work. We cultivate an environment where people are recognized & celebrated for their individuality.
Any TpT applicant who requires reasonable accommodations during the interview process should contact the TpT People Ops Team (firstname.lastname@example.org) to make the need for an accommodation known.
Finally, if youre a California resident, California law requires that we provide you notice about the collection & use of your personal information. We encourage you to read it carefully. You can find our full notice here.