As the leading independent modern media company, Vox Media ignites conversations & influences culture. Across digital, podcasts, TV, streaming, live events, & print, we tell stories that affect our audience's daily lives & entertain as much as they inform.
Our portfolio features influential & respected editorial properties including Vox, New York Magazine, The Verge, The Cut, Eater, Vulture, The Strategist, Polygon, SB Nation, Intelligencer, Curbed, Grub Street & Recode. Off-platform, the Vox Media Podcast Network offers one of the largest collections of popular podcasts, & Vox Media Studios produces & distributes the award-winning nonfiction shows. Powered by innovative technology that scales quality, the Chorus publishing platform & Concert advertising marketplace answer the always-changing needs of modern audiences, creators & marketers.
Vox Media has been named one of Fast Companys Most Innovative Companies in Media, an Company of the Year, Digidays Best Company for Parents, & one of the Best Places to Work for LGBTQ Equality by the Human Rights Campaign.
Eater is looking for an experienced reporter, editor, & manager to lead its New York city site, one of its marquee publications.
What youll do:
- Have a vision of the food & restaurant culture in New York & Eaters stance on it
- Manage a team of five journalists, including full- & part-time reporters & critics
- Oversee all of the sites content, including daily news, maps & service content, features, & other reporting
- Oversee all of Eater NY's content, ranging from daily news stories to longer-lead projects, as well as the site's maps & other service content
- Create & assign an editorial calendar incorporating news stories, service content, & reviews, including planning longer lead features, trend stories, & packages
- Oversee production & strategy for Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, & newsletters for Eater NY, keeping in line with Eater's standards
- Participate in cross-brand promotional efforts & collaboration with the national Eater.com team as communicated by other team managers
- Ensure all copy onsite is copy-edited & meets our style guide & editorial standards
- Assign & edit the work of freelancers; ensure a freelancer pool that reflects the diverse demographic of voices in your city
- Ensure all posts are SEO optimized & that headlines meet our standards
- Track openings & develop sources including chefs, restaurateurs, relevant spokespeople, & alternative sources for coverage as needed
- Direct coverage of the unveiling crisis surrounding COVID-19 & its impact on the New York restaurant community
- Appear on panels, radio, & other public appearance as appropriate for the brand
What you'll bring:
- Extensive experience in journalism, particularly with breaking daily news, developing sources, covering a beat, & editing other writers
- A vision for ambitious storytelling
- Comfort with cold calling & a sense of urgency surrounding the fast pace of digital news
- A drive to continue Eaters reputation as the number one source furthering the conversations about the restaurant world in your city.
- A drive to predict vs. react to the news cycle; an ability to create proactive vs. reactive narratives about the restaurant industry
- Attention to detail, news judgement, story packaging, & careful eye for accuracy
- Interest in digital headline writing, analytics, & social media publishing
- A love for restaurants & knowledge of the local scene & at the very least a voracious hunger to become an expert in the industry
Bonus points for:
- Experience covering business, real estate, the restaurant industry, or legal matters
- Experience with photography & article layout
- Experience with writing and/or editing long-lead, high-touch feature stories
About working at Vox Media:
This is a permanent, full-time position with excellent benefitsincluding flexible hours & generous parental leave. Vox Media strives to provide comprehensive healthcare options for our employees & to ensure that our healthcare & other benefits are LGBTQ-inclusive. You'll be joining a group of focused, hard-working, creative people who are passionate about doing work that's challenging & funand who strive to maintain a healthy work/life balance.
Vox Media is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds & everyone is encouraged to apply. Vox Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer & does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.