Why join Mozilla engineering?
Learn: Code review at Mozilla includes pushing to passionate contributors around the world. Building Firefox & its family of products requires knowledge up & down the stack, & extremely high standards for security & optimization. Beyond the browser, were developing AR/VR, IoT, & voice recognition products that respect & protect privacy.
Grow: Were dedicated to helping every team member develop. We give engineers trust & responsibility from day one, offer generous stipends for learning opportunities, & provide mentorship, especially around key leadership skills like collaboration & clear, kind communication.
Make Your Mark: Were small but mighty, challenging the biggest behemoths on the internet with a staff the size of their marketing departments. That means every engineer can have an outsized impact on products that touch tens of millions of usersultimately influencing how the entire internet works.
The developer productivity team enables Firefox developers do their best work by optimizing tooling for bug tracking, version control tools, code review & build systems. Our team ensures these systems are responsive & run on a secure modern stack that can scale accordingly to accelerate developer productivity. Bugzilla.mozilla.org receives about 3 million hits a day, approximately 150 daily commits land on hg.mozilla.org & our continuous integration farm runs over 12,000 build jobs a day.
As a Developer Productivity Software Engineer you will
- Implement new services & improve developer productivity tools & services
- Collaborate with your teammates & other teams by providing code review & guidance to technical direction
- Mentor others & be mentored by more senior team members
- Work with a geographically-distributed development team
- As needed, provide after hours support for critical issues from the operations team on an occasional basis.
You should possess the following skills
- You are proficient in a scripting language such as Python or modern Perl
- Experience working with version control systems such as Git or Mercurial
- Experience with continuous integration & delivery
- Proficient Linux administration skills to tune performance & mitigate security risks
- Experience writing efficient SQL queries & designing schemas for relational databases
- An excellent communicator & have participated effectively on a distributed team
- You have a consistent track record of finishing projects
- You can write tools to automate repeated tasks & enhance tools written by others
- You know how to perform basic system & network debugging, identify pertinent information, & write a good bug report
Nice to have:
- Experience maintaining high-traffic APIs & websites
- Experience with modern security practices & DDOS mitigation strategies
- Experience with maintaining services in cloud offerings such as GCP & AWS.
- Experience with Docker & Kubernetes
- Familiar with building & maintaining RESTful service APIs
- Improving the resiliency & scalability by implementing web services in cloud offerings such as AWS & GCP
- Ongoing performance improvements & technical stack upgrades to meet security requirements
- Enabling self-service management of products & components
- Split monolithic servers into per-service Instances
- Implement more streamlined testing & deployment tooling for hg.mozilla.org
Feel good about your work again.
At Mozilla, were serving humanityby maintaining a safe, open internetwhile also helping the individual humans employed here to reach their personal & professional goals. With a relatively small team serving hundreds of millions of people, a culture of exploration, & a commitment to mentorship, opportunities abound to learn & grow at Mozilla.
Our values drive our actions
- Purpose is built into our work, with our mission driving every decision
- We challenge assumptions, the status quo, ourselves, & each other
- We are transparent: in our code, our business partnerships, & our everyday interactions
- We seek out people from diverse backgrounds & with perspectives different from our own
- We pair purpose with performance & put people ahead of profit
Our impact is global
- 1000+ paid staff from over 30 countries
- Thousands of volunteer contributors across six continents
- 10 global offices: Beijing, Berlin, London, Paris, Mountain View, Portland, San Francisco, Taipei, Toronto & Vancouver
- Hundreds of home offices globally
Our benefits are world-class
- Flexible work environment (nearly half of Mozillians work remotely)
- Industry-leading paid parental leave (up to 26 weeks of fully paid leave for childbearing parents & up to 12 weeks for non-childbearing parents)
- Reimbursement for professional development (up to $3,000/year)
- A work setup including the latest hardware & software of your choice
- Wellness programswe reimburses up to $1700/year for expenses like child & elder care, mental wellness, & personal enrichment
A lot of companies say theyre mission-driven. Our unique corporate structure guarantees that every decision we make upholds our mission: to make sure the internet stays available, safe, & welcoming to everyone. Beholden to neither shareholders nor investors, Mozilla Corporation is wholly owned by the not-for-profit Mozilla Foundation.
Along with 20,000+ volunteer contributors & collaborators all over the world, Mozilla Corporations staff designs, builds, & distributes software that allows people to enjoy the internet on their own terms. Our flagship product the Firefox browser has expanded into a family of products that protects users & alerts them of risks. Mozillas Emerging Technologies group incubated & sponsors Rust Stack Overflows most loved programming language for the last four years & is building safe, private versions of virtual reality, internet of things, & voice recognition.
We are an equal opportunity employer & value diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.