Were one of the fastest growing homeownership companies in America. Why? Because were building a better way to get home & our customers love it. By combining the technology people expect with a seamless customer service experience, were making homeownership so simple it feels magical.
In 2018 alone, weve helped over 10,000 families get home, saving them on average $3,500 in upfront fees & days of stress-filled time.
Our backers have helped build some of most transformative tech & finance companies in history. Kleiner Perkins, Goldman Sachs, IA Ventures, Ally Bank & others have invested over $85MM in Better & our vision of making homeownership magical.
A Better opportunity:
At Better, we believe in making home finance more understandable, easier & cheaper for all Americans. We are committed to this important, impactful, all-in work. You will be joining us just as we are scaling up our mortgage operations & expanding into new states. The successful candidate will provide guidance to mortgage operations Teams, draft & review contracts, oversee compliance functions, advise on employment issues, conduct legal research, respond to regulatory inquiries, oversee outside consultants & assist the General Counsel & Chief Compliance Officer with special projects. This is a fantastic opportunity to be a key member of our team that is critical to ensuring the thoroughness of our loan origination process & delivering to our clients during a pivotal stage of our companys development.
Responsibilities will include:
- Provide legal & non-legal advice to the General Counsel & other key individuals in the company, including policy recommendations with respect to the mortgage industry, general corporate, real estate, litigation, employment or regulatory matters involving the activities of the Company.
- Work closely with the General Counsel on legal matters impacting the Company.
- Assist the General Counsel & the Compliance Department with regulatory examinations.
- Review contracts including leases, advertising & marketing agreements, software agreements & vendor agreements.
- Review marketing/advertising copy.
- Review & advise on compliance policies.
- Assist the General Counsel in managing legal needs of lines of business engaged in strategic partnerships, including working with outside counsel.
- Other duties as assigned.
- 5 to 10 years experience working in a legal, corporate or governmental environment interfacing with senior leaders
- Proven experience performing legal research
- JD from an accredited law school & are licensed to practice in New York, New Jersey or California
- Strong leadership capabilities & can tell us about things that would have never happened if you werent there to motivate a group of people to do them
- Excellent verbal & written communication skills
- Proven ability to work in a fast-paced environment & juggle multiple projects simultaneously
- Excellent project management & task tracking skills
- Proficient with MS Office & Google applications
- Travel when needed, within the US, on relatively short notice
- Unyielding integrity & are can preserve confidentiality
- Flexible & willing to work extended hours when necessary to advance the mission
- Ability to outside of the box in difficult situations: giving up is never an option
- Authorized to work in the United States
Things we value:
- Curiosity. Why? How? Repeat.
- Nerdiness. Financial news & trends are fascinating. Seriously.
- Relentlessness. No one here gives up. We try. We fail. We try again.
- Passion. If you dont get excited about homeownership, mortgages, & real estate, it simply wont work.
- Smarts: book & street. We have to use all the tools at our disposal to build Better.
- Empathy & Compassion. You understand that people's biggest dreams are in your hands.
- Communication. Can you ask for help or put your hand up when you dont understand?
- Building. Doing. Making. Yes, we have to do a lot of thinking & talking to figure this stuff out, but you cant wait to leave the conversation & build it.