Maps are no longer static. Our maps represent the ever-evolving world, accessing, aggregating, & adapting anonymous data from millions of sensors & phones in real-time. Mapbox has the exciting opportunity to power devices & products across the next frontier in location-based data, such as Internet of Things & AR/VR.
Whether youre watching the delivery of your grocery order on Instacart, looking at a gym on ClassPass, sending your snaps on Snap, tracking your personal best on Strava, monitoring your gas budget on Metromile, or checking todays forecast on The Weather Channel, Mapbox is the location & maps within those apps. Were changing how people move by live-mapping the world. We are the developer platform for location.
What We Do
Mapbox is building a live location platform. Our maps represent the ever-evolving world, accessing, aggregating, & adapting anonymous data from millions of sensors & phones in real-time. Mapbox has the exciting opportunity to power devices & products across the next frontier in location-based data. Whether youre watching the delivery of your grocery order on Instacart, tracking your personal best mile on Strava, sending snaps on Snapchat, monitoring your gas budget on Metromile, or checking todays forecast on The Weather Channel, Mapbox is the location & maps powering those apps. Were changing how people move by live-mapping the world.
The Telemetry team works with rich telemetry data to improve our map, power directions, predict traffic, as well as to provide insights into human mobility patterns. The customers of our unique, privacy-centric datasets on traffic patterns & human activity range from major corporations to local governments & NGO; but we are also committed to making data accessible to smaller developers, & work on a number of community-driven & open-source projects. We're a diverse team of backend engineers, data engineers, & data scientists located around the world, but we work closely together, support each other's growth & learning, & share an enthusiasm for deriving interesting & useful insights out of geospatial data.
To see some examples of our work, check out some of our blog posts from the past year:
What Youll Do
Mapbox is looking for a senior technical manager to lead the development of our Telemetry products. You will be responsible for organizing one or multiple teams work, developing the people on the team, & making sure everything we work on is driven by customer needs & has an impact on the overall business.
In this role, you will:
- Lead the vision & execution to extract value from telemetry data through traffic analysis, road network analysis & movement analysis
- Operate the team by guiding tech leads and/or managers to handle day-to-day & hands-on project management
- Combine different datasets & apply machine learning to improve the quality of the data & models that are driven by telemetry data
- Deliver complex, high-impact projects while providing technical expertise & mentorship to your team
- Manage & develop the team through hiring, retaining, mentoring, & continually building the teams capabilities
- Drive company, product, & team objectives, carrying your team & relevant stakeholders along in the decision-making
- Develop the long-term business strategy driving the teams work
- Establish & track operational metrics for data products to ensure the team is delivering products that satisfying customer requirements
What We Believe are Important Traits for This Role
- Experience building & maintaining complex software development projects that process large volumes of data
- Experience with designing & delivering data products, preferably one for location or mapping
- Fundamental knowledge of machine learning & the unique challenge of software development projects that use AI
- Clear & persuasive communication of complex information to a broad audience, & a commitment to fostering & growing cross-team relationships
- Comfort being vulnerable when you dont know the answer, & knowing how to ask for help
- Ability to communicate how complex systems work to both engineers as well as customers or business stakeholders
- Ability to take on a business ownership role, & be able to ramp up quickly & operate independently
- Experience facilitating work in ways that counteract unconscious bias
- Commitment to recruiting, building, & retaining a diverse engineering team
What We Value
In addition to our core values, which are not unique to this position & are necessary for Mapbox leaders:
- We value high-performing creative individuals who dig into problems & opportunities.
- We believe in individuals being their whole selves at work. We commit to this through supportive health care, parental leave, flexibility for the things that come up in life, & innovating on how we think about supporting our people.
- We emphasize an environment of teaching & learning to equip employees with the tools needed to be successful in their function & the company.
- We strongly believe in the value of growing a diverse team & encourage people of all backgrounds, genders, ethnicities, abilities, & sexual orientations to apply.
By applying for this position, you acknowledge that you have received the Mapbox Non-US Privacy Notice for applicants, which is linked here. Completing this application requires you to provide personal data, such as your name & contact information, which is mandatory for Mapbox to process your application.
Mapbox is an EEO Employer - Minority/Female/Veteran/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity