Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, & operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, & humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company & data company all rolled into one.
Customers & users across the globe use Planet's data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, & solve our worlds toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, & software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture & community & we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first & prepares our company for growth. Join Planet & be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is headquartered in San Francisco, California, Earth.
About the Role:
Are you a quality expert passionate about software quality through test automation & customers experiences? Then we would like to talk to you! We are growing our Quality Engineering team & are looking for passionate technical leaders with the ability to envision test automation at scale & lead its adoption with other engineers.
We are currently looking for a Staff Quality Engineer within our Quality Engineering team.
In this you are a quality expert bringing architectural thinking & leadership across complex product delivery, influencing the resolution of quality problems. You will focus on architecting trusted test automation patterns with high reliability & importance.
Together with your team members across Quality, Product, Software Engineering you will identify & help build out quality metrics reporting that validate we are moving in the right direction & our customers are finding value in our products.
You will guide Planet teams on how to shape & implement a quality strategy, tailored to a variety of product types & delivery styles. As an emerging thought leader, you will frequently share new ideas & points of view on the craft of quality engineering & contribute to Quality initiatives.
Impact Youll Own:
- Being the go-to person & expert in the development of well designed, well written test automation & the types of tools that support it. Understanding deeply how those systems interact with others.
- Spend significant time mentoring & upskilling quality & software developers in testing.
- Collaboration across quality, software development & product teams to perform quality engineering analysis & provide effective improvements toward testability, filling gaps, & providing clarity.
- Act as one of the first to shed light on irregularities in UI, code, managed processes, or systems which will naturally evolve our growing test automation capabilities.
- Provide technical direction for cross functional or multi-team efforts & deliver work with infrequent technical oversight.
- Construct & shepherd the technologies that simplify repeatable QA/QE processes.
- Collaborates with management on team direction. Acts as a force multiplier across the quality teams.
What You Bring:
- Experience in automation frameworks & test strategy/plan development for web-based applications; ex: UI, API, & performance testing.
- Experience with tools such as Postman (API testing), Selenium (UI), PyCharm (IDE), PyLint, GitLab & Jira.
- Experience with cloud, containers & related supporting technologies that operate automation at scale.
- Demonstrated experience in connecting CI/CD platforms with test automation technologies & reporting tools.
- Ability to communicate organization wide. Has a solid record of written & oral communication. Participates in organization-wide architectural & technical strategy discussions.
What Makes You Stand Out:
- Experience in leading the development & execution of sophisticated regression, acceptance, integration, performance, load, system-level, & reliability types of testing for all types of systems & platforms
- A natural curiosity in new technologies, tools, & processes that continue to push efficiency, capability & improvements throughout software delivery
Benefits While Working at Planet:
- Comprehensive Health Plan
- Wellness program & onsite massages in specific offices
- Flexible Time Off
- Recognition Programs
- Commuter Benefits
- Learning & Tuition Reimbursement
- Parental Leave
- Offsites & Happy Hours
- Volunteering Benefits
Some Press About Us:
Our CEO, Will Marshall featured on TED and featured in a Planet Blog
Planet: Bringing Space Back Down to Earth
Tiny, privately owned satellites are changing how we view the Earth features in NBC News
Planet And Rocket Lab Create Mission Patch To Honor Women In Aerospace Planet Blog
Why we care so much about Belonging.
Were dedicated to helping the whole Planet, & to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices & on all of our teams. Thats why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity & inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but youre thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please... do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We dont just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill peoples careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope youre excited to come along for the ride.
Planet is committed to building a community where everyone belongs & we invite people from all backgrounds to apply. Planet is an equal opportunity employer, & committed to providing employment opportunities regardless of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, childbirth & breastfeeding, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected classification, in accordance with applicable federal, state, & local laws.
Planet is an inclusive community & we know that everyone has their own needs. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation during the interview process, please call Planet's front office at 669-214-9404 or contact your recruiter with your request. Your message will be confidential & we will be happy to assist you.
Compensation (only applicable for Colorado applicants):
The base pay range targeted for this position in Colorado is: $156,600 - $243,900. This role is eligible for equity.
The actual offer, including the compensation package, is determined based on multiple factors, including experience, location, & other business considerations.
Planet is registered as an employer in many, but not all, states. If you are not able to work from a state where Planet is registered, you will not be eligible for employment.