Today, Cloudflare runs one of the worlds largest distributed networks that powers more than 10 trillion requests per month, which is nearly 10 percent of all Internet requests worldwide. Cloudflare protects & accelerates any Internet application online without adding hardware, installing software, or changing a line of code.
Our customers range from Fortune 500 companies & nonprofits to small businesses & budding entrepreneurs. We are working to create a faster, more secure, & more reliable experience for anyone online & given the scale at which we operate, our mission is big. Our team is hard at work shaping the future of the Internet by solving some of its toughest challenges. Come join us.
We realize people do not fit into neat boxes. We are looking for curious & empathetic individuals who are committed to developing themselves & learning new skills, & we are ready to help you do that. Cloudflares mission is to help build a better internet. We cannot do this without building a diverse & inclusive team. We hire the best people based on an evaluation of their potential & support them throughout their time at Cloudflare.
What youll do as a Solutions Engineer
You are the technical lynchpin through the entire sales cycle - pre & post sales. You will work closely with our partners, their prospects, & their customers to educate, empower, & ensure their success on the Cloudflare platform. Your technical expertise in Cloudflares global distributed network & technology will allow you to find best-fit solutions for prospects, to train & onboard new partners & customers via video-conference or in person, through documentation, & to support the long-term success of the partner & their customers. As a subject matter expert on web/mobile security & performance, you are a trusted source for developing new firewall rules from log files, crafting performance caching & delivery strategies, & creating or repurposing internal tools & scripts for partners & customers.
As a Solutions Engineer, you are the technical advocate within Cloudflare. To aid your partners & customers, you will work closely with every team at Cloudflare, from Sales & Product, through to Engineering & Customer Support. Your goal of partner & customer success should drive you through the entire organization as you seek out & create scalable solutions for your partners & customers needs.
What we look for in our Solutions Engineers
Our Solutions Engineers come from a wide range of backgrounds: financial consulting, engineering, software development, product management, customer support, & project delivery. We're serious about building a diverse team. When hiring we look for diversity of experience combined with genuine curiosity for our technology.
Ultimately, you are passionate about technology & have the ability to explain complex technical concepts in easy-to-understand terms. You are naturally curious, & an avid builder who is not afraid to get your hands dirty. You appreciate the diversity of challenges in working with customers, & look forward to helping them realize the full promise of Cloudflare. On the Solutions Engineering team, you will find a collaborative environment where everyone brings different strengths & jumps in to help each other.
- As critical members of Cloudflares Enterprise Sales team, Solutions Engineers drive technical discussions & implementations to help generate new business, expand existing business, & keep our customers happy.
- In business generation & expansion, youll be tasked with qualification of prospect & customer use cases, technical requirements discovery, leading demonstrations, solution identification & design, & collaborative work on proofs-of-concept (PoCs).
- For our existing customers, Solutions Engineers are part of a dedicated account team that advises the customer on technical best practices, implementation of Cloudflare products & features, & strategic guidance on internet security & performance.
- The role requires 20-50% travel to attend meetings with prospects or customers, attend conferences & other industry events, & to collaborate with your Cloudflare teammates.
- Expertise in internet technologies: OSI Model layers 1-7, BGP, GRE, TCP/UDP, DNS (authoritative & recursive), HTTP(S), SSL / TLS.
- 3 years of experience in a customer-facing sales or consulting role (note: doesn't have to be in tech)
- Technical curiosity & passion: Cloudflare is at the cutting edge of internet technology, & our Solutions Engineers are viewed as subject-matter experts. Its incumbent on us to stay up to date not only with Cloudflares specific products, but with industry trends.
- A focus on learning, teaching, collaboration, mentorship, & growth, not only personally but also within the team & company.
- Aside from technical & collaborative skills, we place a high value on project management, relationship building, & EQ.
- You've built web applications before, or contributed to existing web applications in a meaningful way.
- You understand the role of a firewall, the difference between L3, L4, & L7 firewalls, & that ACL doesn't always mean Anterior Cruciate Ligament.
- You're not afraid of command-line interfaces, RESTful APIs, or analyzing HTTP request & response in a browsers web inspector.
- You can describe the differences between CSRF, XSS, & SQLi in detail, & Cloudflare's role in defending against them.
- Understanding of, or experience with, regulatory requirements such a PCI DSS, HIPAA, & SOC-2.
- An undergraduate degree in Computer Science, Engineering or a related field. Reminder: this is not a strict requirement at all. Candidates from all walks of life are welcome.
- Graduate-level degrees in Computer Science, Engineering or related fields. Reminder: this is not a strict requirement at all. Candidates from all walks of life are welcome.
More About You
- You can translate technical concepts & jargon for a wide variety of audiences: from systems engineers, to front-end developers, through to IT managers & C-levels in enterprise organizations.
- You want to be constantly learning new things & teaching what you've learned to the broader team through internal & external blog posts, team demos, & product training sessions.
- You have a knack for understanding problems & finding creative ways to solve them. Our product suite is ever-growing, & knowing how to identify which parts will solve a customer's particular problem is important.
- You understand how to manage a project, work to deadlines, & prioritize between competing demands.
What Makes Cloudflare Special?
Were not just a highly ambitious, large-scale technology company. Were a highly ambitious, large-scale technology company with a soul. Fundamental to our mission to help build a better Internet is protecting the free & open Internet.
Project Galileo: We equip politically & artistically important organizations & journalists with powerful tools to defend themselves against attacks that would otherwise censor their work, technology already used by Cloudflares enterprise customers--at no cost.
Project Athenian: We created Athenian Project to ensure that state & local governments have the highest level of protection & reliability for free, so that their constituents have access to election information & voter registration.
Path Forward Partnership: Since 2016, we have partnered with Path Forward, a nonprofit organization, to create 16-week positions for mid-career professionals who want to get back to the workplace after taking time off to care for a child, parent, or loved one.
Sound like something youd like to be a part of? Wed love to hear from you!
Cloudflare hires the best people based on an evaluation of their abilities & effectiveness. We don't discriminate against employees on the basis of any other personal characteristic or any classification protected by federal, state or local law.