Warby Parker is on the lookout for a motivated Senior Data Engineer to help every department across our organization monitor, track, & improve their work. Our teams reach is wide, & our efforts to collect & share data impact nearly every employee. In this role, well tailor your day-to-day responsibilities to your skillset. You may support our work by developing integrations between our rapidly growing tech systems & our data warehouse. Or maybe youll design sophisticated BI data models, advocate data governance best practices, & own the tools used by analysts across Warby Parker. Either way, our ideal candidate is equipped with analytical thinking, communication, & collaboration skills, as well as a fluency in SQL/relational modeling. The ability to write code with razor-sharp attention to detail will also set you up for success here.
At the end of the day, were out to prove that businesses can scale, be profitable, & do good in the world. As you contribute to the companys success, youre also supporting our Buy a Pair, Give a Pair program & Pupils Project. Interested in joining us? Read on!
What youll do:
- Ask thoughtful questions & listen carefully to get to know your business partners vocabulary, problems, goals, & constraints
- Work with a Product Manager & other Engineers to scope out & prioritize potential solutions to complex data problems
- Develop data models that meet business partners needs
- Dream up ways to help our stakeholders solve problems they may not have even thought of yet
- Implement tested, production-ready ETL code in a mix of database environments
- Provide thorough & helpful documentation to ensure that our decisions can be shared & understood in the future
Who you are:
- Backed by 4+ years of software engineering experience with data pipelines or other data-intensive applications
- Comfortable working with the tools of modern software engineering, like working at the command line, using version control, writing tests, performing code review, & more
- Experience working in an iterative, Agile environment
- Able to write SQL
- Excited to help bring the rigor of modern software development practices to the business intelligence space
- An analytical thinker who can understand the needs of an analyst or business expert
- Able to exercise judgment on all aspects of project execution, while also soliciting input from colleagues & stakeholders
- A kind, empathetic listener & proactive, effective communicator (in writing & in person!)
- A team player whos able to collaborate with people of various skills & backgrounds
- Not on the Office of Inspector Generals List of Excluded Individuals/Entities (LEIE)
Extra creditdefinitely not required, but if you have these skills we can put them to good use!
- The ability to develop transformations in modern cloud databases such as BigQuery, Snowflake, or Redshift
- Experience applying the techniques of Kimball-style dimensional data modeling in an Agile environment
- Experience developing, debugging, & deploying infrastructure within AWS or a similar cloud environment
- Experience with streaming event services, such as Kinesis or Kafka
- The ability to visualize data & teach others to, too
- Experience with data governance, data dictionaries, & other processes or techniques to ensure that our work is maximally useful to the company
- A background in teaching, mentoring, tutoring, or lecturing
Warby Parker was founded with a lofty objective: to offer designer eyewear at a revolutionary price while leading the way for socially conscious businesses. By circumventing traditional channels & designing our frames in-house, were able to offer top-quality glasses & sunglasses (plus an uncommonly delightful shopping experience) at a fraction of the traditional going price.