BuzzFeed is looking for a production & advertising attorney to join our legal team in Los Angeles. You will report directly to the Associate General Counsel - Corporate & Commercial Transactions & will provide advice & support to the BuzzFeed Studio team & BuzzFeed Content teams for editorial & commercial content production & exploitation. You are an entertainment law expert who evaluates all matters in a way that honors business imperatives while mitigating risk, & who is experienced at creating creative solutions to seemingly intractable issues.
- Advise across the organization (e.g. Content, Communications, Studios, Finance, Ad Sales) on a range of legal matters relating to development, production & exploitation of television & digital entertainment programming
- Structure, draft & negotiate several domestic & international media & entertainment-related agreements for the development, production & distribution of BuzzFeed properties, including rights, writer, director, producer, actor & other talent agreements, & agreements for production services, clearances, locations, vendors, & other production matters
- Support BuzzFeeds teams in drafting & negotiating a variety of commercial agreements, including licensing, advertising, business development, marketing, events & other commercial & operational contracts.
- Advise regarding questions that arise under applicable union/guild collective bargaining agreements & standards of television & digital exhibitors
- Handle complicated chain of title matters to ensure underlying rights are understood & conduct rights research to determine the availability of content for television/digital exploitation
- Perform daily legal work for television programs, which shall include: vetting creative summaries/pitches/potential characters for legal & risk; overseeing & providing on- & off-set advice to third-party production companies, producers, & creative executives on development- & production-related matters & legal analysis
- Manage relationships with outside counsel
- Develop form agreements & policies for use by internal client groups.
- Provide transactional legal support for general commercial agreements associated with the operations of BuzzFeed (e.g., Ad Sales, News, Studios, etc.)
- Juris Doctor degree (J.D.) from an accredited law school
- Qualified to practice law in California or New York.
- 4+ years post-JD experience, including 3+ years of related entertainment & transactional legal experience preferably in top-tier law firms or as in-house counsel in a company within the media & entertainment industry.
- Excellent negotiating, drafting & transaction structuring skills (in particular, the ability to manage negotiations with a multiplicity of parts), & strong analytical & organizational skills
- Refined & well-practiced drafting skills (in particular, the ability to develop creative solutions in areas with evolving legal guidance)
- Experience drafting & negotiating a broad variety of television production-related documents & agreements including:
- Rights agreements (option agreements, life-rights, etc.)
- Production Agreements
- Talent Agreements
- Director Agreements
- Financing Agreements
- Shopping Agreements
- Practical knowledge of the digital, TV & film industries
- Ability to process a large volume of matters
- Ability to creatively accomplish our goals while managing legal risk
- Collaborative, positive & team-oriented
- Willingness to tackle matters in & outside areas of expertise with a can-do attitude, understanding that no job is too big or too small
- Comfortable working & communicating with all levels of business professionals, including senior management & sales professionals
- Proficiency with: MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook) & Internet research
Life at BuzzFeed
At BuzzFeed, we believe our work benefits from the diverse perspectives of our employees. As such, BuzzFeed celebrates inclusion & is committed to equal opportunity employment. As a BuzzFeed employee, you can expect:
- A supportive, inclusive atmosphere on a team that values your contributions
- Opportunities for personal & professional growth through work experience, offerings from our in-house Learning Team, Employee Resource Groups, & more
- An attractive compensation package, including salary & equity
- A benefits program featuring PTO & unlimited sick time, comprehensive medical benefits, a family leave policy, access to mental health platforms, retirement plans, gym & wellness discounts, & much more
- No shortage of snacks, catered lunches, beverages, birthday treats... even leftovers from the Tasty kitchens in LA & NYC!
BuzzFeed is the leading independent digital media & tech company, delivering news & entertainment content to a global audience. We value experimentation, inclusion & humble confidence. At BuzzFeed, youll collaborate with inspiring colleagues to create tools, technology, & content that helps connect people all over the world.