KATERRA exists to help transform construction through technology - every process & every product.
We provided end-to-end building services, creating new efficiencies between design, engineering, construction, project management, & more. Our integrated teams apply the principles of technology & manufacturing to the building industry, bringing fresh minds & innovative approaches to remove unnecessary time & costs from construction projects.
At KATERRA, we lead from every seat. Our ideal team members are self-starters that embrace ambiguity, think big, & bring their own uncompromising standards of excellence.
One of KATERRA's cultural principles is Diversity.We believe different backgrounds, ideas, & skillsets result in better outcomes.KATERRA does not discriminate in employment based on race, color, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, marital status, disability, religious or political affiliation, age, sexual orientation, or gender identity. KATERRA encourages people of all backgrounds to apply, including people of color, immigrants, refugees, women, LGBTQIA, people with disabilities, veterans & those with diverse life experiences
Senior Mechanical Engineer Building Products
This Sr. Mechanical Engineer will develop complete sets of documents, drawings, calculations, & variations for the mechanical scope of Katerra building products. These products shall incorporate leading edge infrastructure technology & developed to facilitate high degrees of manufacturing (i.e. prefabrication), constructability, & cost efficiency. The perfect candidate will also have strong communication skills, experience performing alternative analyses, experience working with cross-functional teams or in integrated project delivery approaches, & most importantly be driven to challenge typical approaches.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
The Sr. Mechanical Engineer will be a member of Katerras Building Product Engineering team. His/her responsibility will include, but is not limited to:
- Lead/support front end loading for mechanical engineering on building products.
- Engineer HVAC systems including overall system sizing, layout, control points, etc.
- Perform lifecycle cost analyses & energy analyses associated with the mechanical system & overall building systems.
- Develop specifications for heat pumps, RTU, VRV/VRF, CRAC/CRAH, split systems, etc.
- Develop the mechanical/HVAC scope of Basis of Design documentation.
- Oversee, review, or participate in detailing, BIM modeling, & high LOD mechanical design.
- Partial/support development & review of plumbing system designs.
- Perform EOR duties for prototype or first-build deployments of new Katerra Building platforms. Including owning of permit set packages & review of installation sets/models.
- Perform rigorous value engineering of mechanical system designs factoring in costs, constructability, & manufacturability (i.e. prefabrication) & working with the product leads & other resources
- Coordinate with other engineering disciplines, architecture, etc. to develop high quality building products.
Required Skills & Experience
- Bachelors Mechanical Engineering or similar.
- Registered Professional Engineer (P.E.) in at least one U.S. state with the potential for reciprocity in all U.S. states.
- 5+ years as Engineer of Record or Lead Engineer for completed building projects
- 4+ year of experience reviewing submittal packages for mechanical systems installations.
- 2+ years of experience as an engineer or lead designer on commercial buildings, residential or mixed-used buildings.
- 2+ years of experience as an engineer or lead designer on mission-critical facilities (i.e. data centers), industrial plants, or health-care facilities.
- 1+ years performing value engineering for mechanical construction projects.
- Expert at performing energy analyses using software tools such as EQuest, Trane Trace, Energy Plus, and/or Open Studio
- Advanced knowledge & active experience in all the following tools: AutoCAD, Autodesk Revit, Bluebeam, & Microsoft Office suite.
- Advanced knowledge of the International Mechanical Code & Uniform Mechanical Code.
Preferred Skills & Experience
- Working knowledge of the California Energy Code & California Mechanical Code.
- 2+ years of experience performing cost/time estimating or project management for mechanical construction projects.
- 1+ years of experience as the main point of contact for the mechanical discipline in integrated project delivery (IPD) projects.
- Experience in software or technology product development or engineering
- Experience working at a company that performs prefabrication for mechanical assemblies.
- Experience with CLT & concrete buildings.
- Active membership or participation with ASHRAE & other standards/industry organizations.
- LEED A.P. certification.
NOTICE TO THIRD PARTY AGENCIES:
Please note that KATERRA does not accept unsolicited resumes from recruiters or employment agencies. In the absence of a signed Recruitment Fee Agreement, KATERRA will not consider or agree to payment of any referral compensation or recruiter fee. In the event a recruiter or agency submits a resume or candidate without a previously signed agreement, KATERRA explicitly reserves the right to pursue & hire those candidate(s) without any financial obligation to the recruiter or agency. Any unsolicited resumes, including those submitted to hiring managers, are deemed to be the property of KATERRA.