We believe that we are better together, & at Tripadvisor we welcome you for who you are. Our workplace is for everyone, as is our people powered platform. At Tripadvisor, we want you to bring your unique identities, abilities, & experiences, so we can collectively revolutionize travel & together find the good out there.
Tripadvisor is looking for a team lead to oversee the machine learning efforts of our Performance Marketing team. As an Associate Director on Tripadvisors Machine Learning team, you will have the opportunity to lead & develop current ML team members, while also becoming the default ML subject matter expert within Performance Marketing. Some common problem spaces we face on Performance marketing include building models for bidding in online advertising, user propensity modeling, recommendation models to power landing page content, experimental design & analysis, & attribution. Performance marketing is a cross-cutting function, having applications across multiple business verticals.
Beyond leading a team of ML scientists, you will also be expected to work cross-functionally with analysts, software engineers, data engineers, product managers, & more - developing & driving forward with your own agenda & roadmap for Machine Learning while fitting in with the larger goals of the business unit. The ideal candidate for this role should be comfortable with & have some experience operating in this or a similar capacity. This position will report directly to the Director of Machine Learning.
What you will do:
- Lead a team of 3-5 scientists, operating as both a technical & people lead.
- Develop roadmaps & identify growth opportunities that align with the company vision & solve key business problems in the Performance Marketing space.
- Oversee the building of advanced supervised & unsupervised machine learning models - e.g. XGBoost/LightGBM, deep learning models, bandit/Bayesian algorithms, time-series modeling, & more.
- Research new machine learning solutions to complex business problems.
- Guide experimentation efforts & advance rigor & process in this space by establishing best practices across different experimentation types.
- Communicate plans & findings to non-technical audiences & be the face of your team in cross-functional meetings.
- Lead by example with documentation & best practices.
What you will bring to the team:
- PhD or Masters in Computer Science, Engineering, Statistics, or related quantitative field
- Excellent communication skills.
- Strong background in machine learning & statistics.
- Experience with Python for numerical/statistical programming (including Numpy, Pandas, & Scikit-learn; PyTorch experience a plus).
- Experience managing the deployment & maintenance of ML models in production.
- Experience using ML & complex statistical analyses in performance marketing space (preferred)
- Solid knowledge of experimental design & causal inference (preferred)
- 6+ years of industry experience in data science or machine learning.
- Minimum 2 years of experience as a team lead.
What youll get
- Highly competitive salary along with the following
- Annual bonus
- Generous Stock Award upon joining
- Additional stock awarded annually
- Excellent 401K
- Full family private medical cover
- Full dental cover
- Flexible working hours
- Flexible summer working schedule
- Time off between Christmas & New Year (on us!)
- Annual travel & wellbeing allowance ($1200+)
- Critical illness plus full life cover
- Childcare vouchers
- Cycle to work scheme
- Employee assistance program.
We strive to create an accessible & inclusive experience for all candidates. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please make sure to reach out to your individual recruiter or our team at firstname.lastname@example.org.