Looking for a job to get you out of bed?
Casper is seeking a bright, energetic, business-minded & self-motivated commercial attorney with a minimum of three years of relevant experience to join its rapidly growing team. The ideal candidate has at least two years of experience gained at a leading law firm & additional in-house experience gained at a technology or consumer-facing web company. In this position, you will be responsible for day-to-day legal work supporting significant areas of our business (including our Product, Marketing, Data & Analytics, Tech & IT, People & Operations & Logistics teams), & will have the opportunity to manage & execute a broad range of cross-functional legal & commercial initiatives.
This position reports directly to the Senior Counsel & is based in the companys corporate headquarters in Union Square, New York City.
Casper (casper.com) is a global sleep company that launched in 2014 with an obsessively engineered, outrageously comfortable mattress sold directly to consumers. Its critically acclaimed sleep surface was developed in-house, has a sleek design, & is delivered in a small, "how did they do that?"-sized box. The company is one of the fastest-growing consumer brands of all time, & its product line has expanded to include sheets, pillows, a matching foundation, & a dog mattress. Casper was named one of Fast Company's 50 Most Innovative Companies in 2017, & its eponymous mattress was crowned one of TIME Magazine's Best Inventions.
We are deeply committed to building a diverse & inclusive workforce so that we represent all those who dream big equally.
When youre not catching zzzs, this is what youll do...
- Draft & negotiate a variety of coverage area-specific commercial agreements, including license, vendor, technology, master services, confidentiality & other agreements, & support the Legal teams negotiation of applicable privacy, data security & IP provisions of inbound & outbound agreements
- Provide practical legal advice supporting various business teams in the U.S. & internationally, with an emphasis on issues related to marketing, data security & privacy, intellectual property & a broad range of commercial transactions
- Develop & maintain current knowledge on legal developments relevant to our business
- Collaborate in continuing development of commercial contracts workflows to develop a scalable, business-centric approach to commercial negotiations & agreements
- Develop & operationalize policies, training & workflows to allow business teams to move quickly while addressing key legal risks in their areas of operation
- Oversee our information & records management, including alignment with privacy & security policies
- Lead or assist the Legal teams efforts in the preparation, implementation & refinement of appropriate forms, processes & procedures
- Build close relationships with personnel at supported business operations, & obtain & maintain a strong knowledge of the products & objectives of those operations
- Manage outside counsel
- Conduct periodic employee trainings on relevant matters
- Engage in or lead various other Legal projects & duties as needed, including due diligence & related support on strategic transactions
- Provide substantive support for the rest of the Legal team as needed
Our dream candidate is...
- 3+ years of relevant experience, preference for at least two years at a leading law firm
- In-house experience at a technology or Internet (ideally consumer-facing web or ecommerce) company preferred
- Must be admitted, active & in good standing with the New York State bar
- Strong general commercial contract skills & experience
The successful candidate must...
- Be passionate about technology & energized by the challenges of serving a dynamic, hyper-growth company
- Be extremely bright but also have an EQ that matches your IQ, & the ability to engage effectively with all levels of employees & management
- Have excellent communication (written & verbal) & interpersonal skills
- Be detail-oriented, organized, efficient & resourceful with strong follow-through skills
- Be highly analytical & have exceptional business & legal issue identification & problem-solving skills
- Have a practical, business-oriented approach to problem-solving & be able to effectively counsel internal clients by providing them with clear, concise & commercial advice, & creative solutions where necessary, on established timelines to meet their business needs
- Be a strong & astute negotiator with impeccable judgment
- Be able to operate autonomously while being a team player who brings a positive, can do attitude to the workplace & works collaboratively with other members of the Legal team & with internal clients
- Be able to simultaneously manage workloads, multiple client demands & shifting priorities within a fast-paced, rapidly evolving environment
- Have a strong desire to learn the business & new areas of law & to function integrally as part of an interdisciplinary team
- Be collegial, hard working, confident, a self-starter & have a passion for results
- Be a multi-tasker with excellent analytical & legal skills
- Have the ability to understand business needs & partner with the business to create solutions
- Strong understanding of the interplay between legal & business risk
- Be organized, detail-oriented, resourceful, & flexible
- Be able to work under pressure & meet deadlines
The syrup on your waffles
- Salary to pay your bills, a potential bonus for some splurging, & equity so that youre part of the Casper family.
- Medical, vision, & dental insurance to help you with those coughs or cavities (too many waffles...).
- 401K program so you can still spend money later in life.
- Extra cash incentives for being healthy & fit (we actually give you money to track your sleep!).
- Unlimited vacation policy. If you need time off just take it; we trust you!
- Bi-weekly catered lunches to catch up with your teammates.
- Free snacks & coffee, including a huge breakfast selection (10 types of cereal anyone?)
- Nap pods, for those days when you stayed out a little too late...
- A full gifted bed set when you join (mattress, sheets, pillows, the works)!
If you dream about this stuff this job is probably right for you. We look forward to learning more about you!