At Oscar, we are re-envisioning healthcare by bringing technologists & industry experts together. We believe that great technology can revolutionize the operations & infrastructure underlying todays healthcare & insurance systems, & is key to delivering transformative experiences for our members & the medical experts who provide their care. Oscar engineers work on some of the most challenging problems in tech helping users navigate the complex health industry through beautiful user applications, elegant distributed system design, making sense of noisy data, statistical learning, & language theory. We invest in our people, our tools, & our processes so we can focus on solving big problems while learning from one another.
Management at Oscar:
People managers are also technical leaders at Oscar its part of our cultural identity. As such, we strive to support managers such that half of their time can be spent directly making technical contributions on architectural plans, helpful code reviews, & writing their own code. A manager doesnt have to be the strongest technical contributor on their team, but we expect managers to be able to produce technical work at a senior level & to have a strong sense of what good technical performance looks like, at both the individual & team levels.
If people management is not for you, we support a parallel career track focusing on technical leadership without the management responsibilities. You can be a tech lead for a team or large project without being a manager, though the roles often overlap.
Specific management responsibilities include:
- Coaching & mentorship. Ensure everyone on your team is getting clear, constructive, & frequent feedback on their work & that they have the support they need to grow as technical contributors.
- Career development. Understand the aspirations of your teammates & help them to take on more responsibility for the work they are most passionate about.
- Team execution. You are ultimately responsible for the overall performance of your team, which can be minimally defined as ensuring the right objectives for the team are established, & that they are met at the right time. But wed really like you to help your team knock it out of the park.
You wont be on your own. Engineering management is a critical & complex role that we take very seriously at Oscar & we support each other to do it well.
- You have 7+ years of software engineering experience, including prior management experience.
- You make the people & teams around you better through mentorship, collaboration, & guiding developers towards best practices.
- You believe that team performance is even more important than individual performance, & have a track record of leading & managing high-functioning teams.
- You understand the inclusion part of Diversity & Inclusion & can help us improve & maintain a great culture where the best ideas prevail.
Above all else, you demonstrate:
- A friendly, thoughtful, & kind approach.
- Humility, maturity, & lack of ego.
- An open mind, while ready with a point of view.
Life at Oscar:
At Oscar, being an Equal Opportunity Employer means more than upholding discrimination-free hiring practices. It means that we cultivate an environment where people can be their most authentic selves & find both belonging & support. We're on a mission to change health care -- an experience made whole by our unique backgrounds & perspectives.
We encourage our members to care for their whole selves, & we encourage our employees to do the same with comprehensive medical benefits, generous paid-time off, paid parental leave, retirement plans, company social events, stocked kitchens, wellness programs, & volunteer opportunities.
Oscar applicants are considered solely based on their qualifications, without regard to applicants disability or need for accommodation. Any Oscar applicant who requires reasonable accommodations during the application process should contact the Oscar Benefits Team (email@example.com) to make the need for an accommodation known.
Pay Transparency Policy:
Oscar ensures that you won't be discharged or discriminated against based on whether you've inquired about, discussed, or disclosed your pay. Read the full policy here.