Location: Hybrid / Remote
Here at BARK, we love dogs & their people. Were looking to make all dogs happy throughout the entire world (were not kidding). Think Disney for dogs -- we make magic for dogs & their people through our products, events, & experiences.
Our ambition level is high, the opportunity is huge, & our love for dogs is through the roof! We launched in 2011 with BarkBox, a monthly-themed subscription of all-natural treats & clever toys. Since then, we've shipped more than 70 million toys & treats to dogs across the world & use all of that direct customer feedback to inform new initiatives & ways to make magic between dogs & their people. Weve since expanded into other offerings as well, as we aim to become THE Dog Company for every family with a four-legged, belly-scratch-loving, interspecies family member.
The Accounting team is made up of smart, driven, dog-loving individuals who handle the core accounting responsibilities at BARK. These include ensuring that our accounts are closed timely & that our general ledger is reconciled monthly in order to provide our internal partners accurate information to make business decisions; & to produce GAAP Financials that our shareholders & the investing community can rely on through our SEC filings. As a member of the accounting team, you'll take ownership & become an expert in your accounting area, understanding the process end to end. You'll help us to implement the next generation of enhancements to the companys accounting applications & processes. We are a very collaborative team, working cross-functionally across BARK. What we take seriously: having fun, working hard, & playing with dogs (obviously).
WHO WERE SNIFFING FOR
This director will report to the Assistant Controller to provide financial leadership by owning BARKs inventory recording & reporting activities to ensure timely & accurate compliance with all internal & external reporting requirements.
This position will lead a team & be a key decision maker within the organization primarily focused on inventory management & related accounting control processes. This role will require a visionary leader who shows a passion for building as well as fostering collaboration, learning, & growth.
- Responsible for all data integrity, accounting, reporting & analysis related to inventories, cost accounting, gross margins & supporting processes
- Leading the monthly close process for inventory
- Ensure that inventories are properly valued, including the establishment of reserves under US GAAP, that gross margins are accurate & any significant variances between budgeted & actual margins are investigated & explained to management
- Key stakeholder/decision maker on the policies & procedures as they relate to inventory & COGS internal controls
- Act as primary finance liaison to operations, SOX, purchasing, fulfillment, logistics, finance & enterprise system teams for the establishment of physical inventory controls, cycle counts, & year end physical audit
- Responsible for accounting for the flow of inventory from purchasing, to importing, receiving, assembly, & sale/fulfillment
- Full cycle inventory accounting (including importing, warehousing, & assembly/packaging)
- Prior experience in a direct to consumer, manufacturing, or retail company
- Deep understanding & experience in using & implementing best in class inventory management systems
- Experience in measuring performance utilizing KPIs around inventory & cost of goods
- Demonstrated proficiency in US GAAP & SEC accounting requirements
SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
- 7+ years of related experience, including experience in inventory management and/or inventory/cost accounting
- 3+ years of experience leading & managing teams
- Experience using & implementing NetSuite modules & inventory management systems
- Demonstrated experience in making actionable improvements to processes
- Experience in working with cross-functional teams
This position is a full-time, salaried position, open to remote candidates. We offer health insurance for both you & your pup, 401k, wonderful team lunches, cold brew on tap, & a dog to pet anytime you wish.
Please Note: BARK requires all employees or guests entering our space to provide proof of up to date covid-19 vaccinations. Exemption and/or accommodation requests will be reviewed on a case by case basis.
FOR CO/NJ/NY BASED APPLICANTS:
- The base salary range for this position is $137,900 - $190,000
- This position is eligible for equity
**This compensation range is based on BARKs good faith estimate as of the date of this posting & may be modified in the future. Actual pay for this position will depend on a variety of variables including location, travel, internal equity, experience, education, skills & expertise