CB Insights is looking for a VP of Product - a client-focused hands-on product executive who wants to build a product clients love & scale a team
First, some data on the growth of CB Insights.
- 2015 - 66 teammates
- 2016 - 104 teammates
- 2017 - 168 teammates
- 2018 - 209 teammates
- 2019 - 292
- Today - 300+ & growing
Over that same period, our revenue has grown 800% into the very healthy 8-figures. Underpinning this growth is the CB Insights Technology Intelligence platform, the foundation of our relationships with our customers.
It is the product that delivers the data, insights, & functionality that our customers have come to know & love - & while its evolution is supported by multiple teams, the Product team at CB Insights sits at its center.
And so we are looking to hire a VP of Product at CB Insights to lead, build & develop our product team. We work with the biggest & most important corporations & VCs in the world to help them discover, understand & manage their technology decisions, & the product teams goal is to make CB Insights the indispensable platform for them.
We recognize that Product teams look & feel different in every company, & so its important to first describe the principles that will drive success in the role prior to talking about the specific responsibilities & tasks. These are:
- An obsessive focus on the customer
- Knowing the difference between what we should do vs. what we can do
- Understanding that strategy is only as good as the execution - & vice versa
- People are at the heart of the product
Lets unpack each of these further in the context of the role.
An obsessive focus on the customer
CB Insights has grown to 300+ people without using any investment capital.
A relentless focus on clients & building products that help them discover, understand & manage their technology decisions using data. As we continue to scale, the customer will continue to be at the center of our product strategy as we solve their business needs. Specifically, this will entail:
- Supporting the sourcing & distilling of customer insights through a customer discovery process to identify product opportunities & differentiators
- Coaching an existing & growing team of Product Owners on how to build & maintain client relationships to inform the features & products they build
- Building a deep & nuanced understanding of customer archetypes, workflows, use cases & pain points - & how each contributes to CB Insights business
- Maintaining a focus on value generated for customers & the ultimately delivery of exceptional client experiences; & adhering to goals centered around customer adoption & frequency
- Ensuring that the voice of the client is core to prioritization of what the Product team works on - more on this in #2 below
Knowing how to parse what should be built from what could be
As a company with a product on the bleeding edge of technology, there are many things we can do, which does not mean we should do them all. The ability to be disciplined & focused in identifying product initiatives that matter most will be critical in this role. Related responsibilities include:
- Ruthlessly prioritizing client problems & product solutions in a disciplined, concise, & deliberate way
- Applying existing CBI product prioritization frameworks rigorously & working with Product Owners to develop strong hypotheses using both quantitative & qualitative information & research
- Sourcing internal input & viewpoints from various stakeholders to pressure test prioritization & path forward
- Using this prioritized list to develop a coherent product strategy & roadmap for the entire product portfolio
- Evangelizing product strategy & driving alignment across the organization
Understanding that strategy is only as good as the execution - & vice versa
The VP of Product will be responsible for both the strategy & goal-setting driven by #1 & #2 above as well as working with teams to execute on the priorities. Ensuring multiple groups pull together as one to build & deliver on product goals includes:
- Driving annual & quarterly product roadmap planning & execution with a cross-functional team of Product & Project Managers (part of the Product team), Designers, Product Marketers, & Engineering Team Leads
- Collaborating with the CEO & department leads to:
- Communicate strategy, value to clients, & roadmap to leadership team & to the larger CB Insights team
- Defining & monitoring product KPIs that contribute to business outcomes, & setting & achieving goals based on these metrics
- Solidifying & rolling-out product development processes with leaders across functions (e.g. Technical PM, Design, Engineering, Data, Customer Success, & Product Marketing)
- Holding yourself & the broader team accountable for delivering on goals consistently & fostering an environment of transparency & collaboration (more on this in #4 below)
People are at the heart of the product
While attacking a massive market & having a great product have helped us scale, the #1 driver of our sustained & continued growth will be the team. As the VP of Product, you recognize the importance of a capable, cohesive, & motivated team & will be responsible for
- Leading & developing a high-performing team of 12+ product & project managers, including two Directors
- Coach the product team on core product management skills, including: market, customer, competitor & UX research; synthesize research into customer insights, & propose solutions
- Lead by example in contributing to a strong company culture & high-performing collaborative working environment
- Support the recruiting & development of the team
- Build relationships & work closely with teammates throughout CB Insights across engineering, design, customer success, research, business development & more to get input on, build & rollout products
What you bring to the table:
- 10+ years of experience in data/information businesses or B2B / enterprise SaaS
- Proven track recording of leading high performance product teams
- Demonstrated experience & expertise with data-driven products
- Experience leading cross-functional team to achieve goals in an agile & fast-paced environment
- Track record in leading product planning efforts: including planning the roadmap at the org-level
- Experience of having strategized, built & executed product development, launch, & enablement processes with internal partners
This job is right for you if:
- You work smart & hard. You have high standards for you & your teams work, & what a product should enable clients to achieve. You deliver value consistently by being inquisitive, innovative & working with intent
- You must be a great listener who is comfortable talking to clients (internally & externally) to understand their needs & distill insights from these conversations into themes that drive product strategy
- You are client-obsessed, & have a deep understanding of CB Insights clients. You challenge & coach members of your team to deliver valuable client experience under aggressive goals
- You see the big product picture, but also sweat the details; you can get into the weeds of UX & feature requirements when the team needs you to
- You embrace that speed of execution is a weapon for a growth company
- You take an analytical & data-driven approach to product prioritization
- You are a structured thinker who can influence a diverse array of audiences from Fortune 500 customers to engineers to sales professionals. A master communicator, where clarity of thought is important in both written & verbal communication
- You are a data geek & enjoy experimentation
- You are a technology enthusiast who enjoys understanding new technologies, markets, & business models
Whats CB Insights Is All About:
CB Insights helps the worlds leading companies make smarter technology decisions with data, not opinion. The CB Insights Technology Insights Platform provides companies with comprehensive data, expert insights, & work management tools that enable them to discover & understand the technologies that will help them drive growth & improve operations. To learn more, please visit www.cbinsights.com
- Amazing culture: Happy, Helpful, Humble, Hungry. Learn more here
- A newsletter that 640k people follow: Sign up here.
- Be Healthy: Health with HSA & FSA options, dental, & vision insurance along with unlimited/take what you need sick day policy
- Plan for the future: 401k with up to 4% match
- Continued Learning: $1,000 yearly continuing education stipend
- Rest & Relax: Competitive vacation & holiday plans
- Refuel: Daily lunch stipend, unlimited snacks/coffee
We know that diversity makes for the best problem-solving & creative thinking. We are dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team & encourage everyone to apply if your experience is close to what we are looking for.
Equal Opportunity Employer: CB Insights is committed to creating a diverse environment & is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
If you know someone who'd be perfect for the role,submit here & you'll be eligible for $5,000!