Who are we?
WorldRemit is changing the way people send money abroad. Weve taken something complicated & made it simple. Tap the WorldRemit App or click on our website & your international transfer is made to a bank account, cash pickup, Mobile Money, or airtime top-up. Founded in 2010, we send international remittances from 50 countries to more than 150 countries & we continue to expand our footprint.
Using WorldRemit is easy because we do the hard bit, connecting hundreds of banks, money agents, mobile operators & payment systems around the world. These were never designed to work together, but WorldRemit makes it happen.
WorldRemit has grown on average by 50% year on year & is now processing over 3bn of remittances on an annualised basis. We have raised c.$200 million in funding, currently employ over 750 employees & have offices in London, USA, Philippines, Poland, Australia, New Zealand, Canada, Japan, Hong Kong & other locations.
The journey is just beginning. We believe in faster, simpler, more accessible money transfers. That means building better products & services for our customers.
Changing the world isnt easy so we only hire the most talented people. You need to think differently, believe in new solutions to old problems, & have the drive to make them happen. We aim to attract, retain & develop people that can bring to life our values:
You can learn more about our culture & how we work by watching this video on our Careers page
About the Role
Based in London & working in a feature team, youll be helping us improve our platform moving towards a microservice architecture, focusing in continuous delivery, scalability & system resilience. We have users sending money from 50 countries to over 150 countries & were expanding. The work is varied, from creating new products & features to improving existing functionality, we strive to build a better customer experience & a better codebase. This is real growth at pace.
We use a modern stack Docker, Kubernetes, AWS,Microservices & modern tools CI, TDD, Agile to get the job done.
- Writing great code.We understand code is read more than its written, better off tested & maintainability is a must.
- Helping shape what we build.Youll be working closely with product owners, designers & other engineers to design & refine our work. We work as a team & your input is key.
- Owning delivery.Were obsessed with shipping value; youll own work beyond just a pull request. Youll care about bugs, scalability, uptime & other non-functional requirements.
- Growing together.Youll review others' work & happily seek feedback on yours to ensure we build a better codebase & sharpen each other's skills.
Summary of required experience & attributes
- A skilled Engineer. 6+ years' experience of building APIs & services.
- You run on the JVM. From Optionals, Streams & Completable Futures youre up to date on the latest in the world of Java.
- Deals in databases. You can sketch out schemas, discuss the trade-offs of NoSQL & query-plan your way through scaling issues.
- Happy in the Clouds. Our Cloud Native platform is hosted in AWS & Azure. Youll be comfortable working with a system that supports users from around the world, at scale.
- Right technology for the job. Your happy to learn & work alongside different stacks; .NET is your colleague not your competition.
- Well-principled. Especially in the craft of Software Engineering you will understand deeply: modularity, testability, extensibility, scalability & other ilities.
- Bias for action. You see a problem, you fix a problem. You get buy in for your solutions & keep tickets moving. Were always looking for ways to ship at pace.
- Growth mindset. A willingness to use your skills & experience to mentor less-experienced engineers. A desire to learn from others & make yourself better every day.
- Agile outlook. You need to be excited about working in a fast-changing environment. Products, tools, frameworks & processes change, we evolve & take the best bits with us. The teams drive the evolution.
- Life assurance of 3 times your salary, should the worst happen.
- Pension scheme offering 8% matched contributions.
- Private medical & dental care plans.
- 25 days of holiday plus bank holidays, rising to 28 after 3 years.
- Free breakfast & fruit every day & Friday afternoon tea drinks & nibbles.
- No formal dress code.