We are looking for a passionate backend engineer who is enthusiastic about & has experience building scalable, low latency & secure systems. At Peloton, you will have the opportunity to rapidly change the face of the fitness industry. You will be working in a high velocity software engineering environment, in a team, building systems which service fitness content to all Peloton consumers over connected & digital devices. You will be responsible for leading large scale projects, collaborating within the team, & with cross functional teams on estimating project scopes, setting milestones, as well as identifying project risks & dependencies.
Design & Development
- Assume technical responsibility for new services & functionality, lookout for opportunities for platform improvement, & work with engineers to scale our production systems.
- Identify & lead technical initiatives to build clean, robust, & performant applications.
- Contribute to the design of software architecture & development of new features & functionalities in the stack.
- Lead, coach, pair with, & mentor junior backend software engineers.
- Mentor software engineers from diverse backgrounds to nurture a culture of ownership, learning, automation, re-use, & engineering efficiency through the use of software design patterns & industry best practices.
- Engage in code reviews helping maintain our coding standards.
Drive large-scale projects
- Collaborate with cross-functional team members from Product, Design, Program Management in order to deliver against quarterly & annual roadmap objectives.
- Handle planning & breaking down large projects into milestones & identifying risks & dependencies.
- Experience in building scalable backend framework that supports a rapid growing user base
- 8+ years of software development experience
- Experience building Python or Java based backend framework at scale
- Experience with designing RESTful API
- Experience with working on service oriented architecture & RPC design
- Experience with concurrency & parallelism in Python and/or Java
- Experience with data modeling & at least one database engine (MySQL, PostgreSQL, Redis, MongoDB, Cassandra, etc.)
- Experience with developing secure API endpoints
- Deep understanding of HTTP, TCP, SSL in API context
- Ability to own & deliver end to end API functionality from design/architect, to implementation, to testing, to production release & monitoring
- Ability to accomplish complex engineering task independently
- Ability to manage complex cross team coordinations & work closely with product owners
- Ability to evaluate & communicate different engineering solutions & trade-offs
- B.S. in Computer Science, Engineering or in similar discipline years of work experience
- Experience working with gRPC & designing microservices from ground up
- Solid understanding of clean software design principles
- Github project(s) or contribute to open source communities
- Worked in a Test Driven Development environment before
- Experience in building secure consumer facing APIs
- Diverse knowledge of other programming languages & frameworks
- Continuous build experience in an Agile Environment
- Experience leading backend development & engineering
Please note: This is a full-time position that will be remote initially (due to COVID-19) & based in our New York City HQ once it is safe to re-open the office.
Founded in 2012, Peloton is a global interactive fitness platform that brings the energy & benefits of studio-style workouts to the convenience & comfort of home. We use technology & design to bring our Members immersive content through the Peloton Bike, the Peloton Tread, & Peloton Digital, which provide comprehensive, socially-connected fitness offerings anytime, anywhere. We believe in taking risks & challenging the status quo by continuously innovating & improving. Our team is made up of passionate brand ambassadors, & we know that together, we go far.
Headquartered in New York City, with offices, warehouses & retail showrooms in the US, UK & Canada, Peloton is changing the way people get fit. Peloton has been named to many prestigious industry lists, including Fast Company's Most Innovative Companies, CNBC's Disruptor 50, Crain's New York Business' Tech25 & Fast50, as well as TIME's Genius Companies. Visit www.onepeloton.com/careers to learn more about joining our team.