At Cloudflare, we have our eyes set on an ambitious goal: to help build a better Internet. Today the company runs one of the worlds largest networks that powers more than 10 trillion requests per month. Cloudflare protects & accelerates any Internet application online without adding hardware, installing software, or changing a line of code. Internet properties powered by Cloudflare have all web traffic routed through its intelligent global network, which gets smarter with every request. As a result, they see significant improvement in performance & a decrease in spam & other attacks. Cloudflare was recognized by the World Economic Forum as a Technology Pioneer & named to Entrepreneur Magazines Top Company Cultures list.
We realize people do not fit into neat boxes. We are looking for curious & empathetic individuals who are committed to developing themselves & learning new skills, & we are ready to help you do that. We cannot complete our mission without building a diverse & inclusive team. We hire the best people based on an evaluation of their potential & support them throughout their time at Cloudflare. Come join us!
You will work directly within our core engineering team in London which builds the Cloudflare system running in 160+ cities around the world. Your work will impact upwards of 2.8 billion people/month.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Being an expert in the product. You will help the team develop the product roadmap. You will understand how the product works in-and-out.
- You will own the # escalations on FL PLAT & your focus will be to reduce that number through documentation, tooling & training.
- Triage & diagnose issues escalated from customer support, technical operations, & sales to engineering & product.
- You will debug issues using the tools that engineers do.
- You will help develop standardised answers to common questions, & identify the uncommon questions to be escalated to the entire team.
- You will write bug reports that include reproducible steps & make suggestions on how to fix them.
- You will document Standard Operating Procedures for SREs to follow.
- You will develop training & runbooks for CSUP
- Help Support & Technical Operations team automate common operational tasks
- Work closely with engineering & product teams. Youll attend team meetings & help the team develop the product roadmap. You will understand how the product works in-and-out.
- Share knowledge & represent the team within the customer support & technical operations areas
This particular role is on one of our main Edge teams. The team is responsible for developing & supporting the operation of a vital core platform.
The current platform makes extensive use of Nginx/C & Lua, & were currently planning how to evolve the platform. At the moment we are investigating Rust as a candidate technology for future iterations of the platform. Initially you will be working on the existing application that is based on Nginx/C & Lua. Whilst you wont be coding on the actual platform the expectation is that you may be coding where it is useful to debug issues, provide test cases & improving debugging tooling.
We are interested in people who have experience being part of a team that develops & supports services, as well as experience with the technologies that we use.
Examples of desirable skills & experience
We do not require you to have all of these!
- Desire to learn & improve
- Understanding of distributed systems
- Talking about your work to technical & non technical people
- Working as part of an agile software development team
- Understanding of security issues & responsibilities
- Experience of debugging & testing
- Analysing data sets such as logs
- Designing & building APIs
It is also desirable that you have skills & experience in the following areas but its ok to demonstrate a willingness/desire to learn them.
- Understand how the Internet works, at a protocol level
- Good knowledge of unix-like systems
We work with languages such as Lua, Go, Rust, C, C++, & Python, but are looking for good engineers regardless of language.
A degree is not required for this position.
What Makes Us Special
Were not just a highly ambitious, large-scale technology company. Were a highly ambitious, large-scale technology company with a soul. Fundamental to our mission to help build a better Internet is protecting the free & open Internet.
Project Galileo: We equip politically & artistically important organizations & journalists with powerful tools to defend themselves against attacks that would otherwise censor their work, technology already used by Cloudflares enterprise customers--at no cost.
Project Athenian: We created Athenian Project to ensure that state & local governments have the highest level of protection & reliability for free, so that their constituents have access to election information & voter registration.
Path Forward Partnership: Since 2016, we have partnered with Path Forward, a nonprofit organization, to create 16-week positions for mid-career professionals who want to get back to the workplace after taking time off to care for a child, parent, or loved one.
Sound like something youd like to be a part of? Wed love to hear from you!
Cloudflare is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all people & place great value in both diversity & inclusiveness. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to their, or any other person's, perceived or actual race, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, or any other basis protected by law. We are an AA/Veterans/Disabled Employer.
Cloudflare provides reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job. Examples of reasonable accommodations include, but are not limited to, changing the application process, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment. If you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job, please contact us via e-mail at email@example.com or via mail at 101 Townsend St. San Francisco, CA 94107.