As the leading independent modern media company, Vox Media ignites conversations & influences culture. Across digital, podcasts, TV, streaming, live events, & print, we tell stories that affect our audience's daily lives & entertain as much as they inform.
Our portfolio features influential & respected editorial properties including Vox, New York Magazine, The Verge, The Cut, Eater, Vulture, The Strategist, Polygon, SB Nation, Intelligencer, Curbed, Grub Street & Recode. Off-platform, the Vox Media Podcast Network offers one of the largest collections of popular podcasts, & Vox Media Studios produces & distributes the award-winning nonfiction shows. Powered by innovative technology that scales quality, the Chorus publishing platform & Concert advertising marketplace answer the always-changing needs of modern audiences, creators & marketers.
Vox Media has been named one of Fast Companys Most Innovative Companies in Media, an Company of the Year, Digidays Best Company for Parents, & one of the Best Places to Work for LGBTQ Equality by the Human Rights Campaign.
Vox is a users guide to the news produced by the reporters & subject issue experts who know it best. From daily news explainers to talk shows to limited-run narrative series, our podcasts are an audio expression of that mission. Were looking for a versatile & experienced audio engineer who can mix & master beautiful episodes of our talk shows, as well as contribute to the creative development of projects across Vox.
What you'll do:
Voxs expanding lineup of conversation-based shows includes Vox Conversations, The Weeds, Worldly & Recode Media. Youll be responsible for mixing & mastering episodes of the highest audio quality to our listeners: overseeing recording sessions, tape cleanup & editing, mixing & mastering. Youll primarily work with our podcast teams & newsroom to edit, score & engineer segments. Youll also join Voxs growing audio team & engineer additional Vox audio shows as needed.
If youre the right person for the role, you have considerable experience working with a variety of audio formats. You can quickly & expertly edit two-way conversations, or mix more complex segments with clips, narration, field tape, ambi & music. You have hands-on experience with narrative storytelling productions: you're well-versed in using sound design & music to elevate a story, & can work with production teams to identify & integrate the best quality tape.
You can work under deadline pressure without compromising high production standards. You are a detail-oriented person who can confidently deliver a polished final mix. We use ProTools, but proficiency with a variety of recording & mixing technologies is preferred for this role. You should know how to mix to a loudness that meets industry standards, & have experience with audio tools ranging from microphones & portable recorders to plug-ins for EQ, compression, de-noising, etc.
- Facilitate recordings, cut, sound-design, mix, & master episodes of Voxs conversation-based shows
- Technical setup & facilitation of studio & remote recordings
- Cleanup/edit tape with minimal supervision
- Mix & master final segment & episode files
- Upload episodes to publishing platforms & maintain feed
- Work with reporters to pilot new podcast ideas
- Collaborate with Vox producers across the website with sound design & tape clean-up
- Cross-train & fill in for other shows as needed
- Design innovative promotional material for podcasts
What youll bring:
- Significant experience editing & engineering audio stories as part of a fast-moving, collaborative team under deadline pressure
- At least 5 years experience working as an engineer in a variety of podcast/broadcast formats
- Command of studio & post-production tasks including recording, tape editing, sound design & mixing/mastering
- Demonstrated skills in editing narrative audio productions or film/TV documentary sound mixing
- Ability to work in a fast-paced production environment & remain composed & productive under deadline pressure
- Ability to take direction & work independently within a collaborative, team environment
- Incredible attention to detail
- Familiarity with control rooms & digital consoles
- A mindset of continual learning & experimentation
Vox values thinkers, creatives, & obsessives from all backgrounds. We are looking to hire the right person not the right rsum. We encourage those with diverse & nontraditional experience to apply.
About working at Vox Media:
This is a permanent, full-time position with excellent benefitsincluding flexible hours & generous parental leave. Vox Media strives to provide comprehensive healthcare options for our employees & to ensure that our healthcare & other benefits are LGBTQ-inclusive. You'll be joining a group of focused, hard-working, creative people who are passionate about doing work that's challenging & funand who strive to maintain a healthy work/life balance.
Vox Media is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds & everyone is encouraged to apply. Vox Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer & does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.