The Security Engineering team is a trusted partner throughout the organization. We work hard to make Betterment the most secure place for our customers money. We do this by building tools for our development teams, improving the security & integrity of our systems & adding monitoring & visibility into our services. This helps us move faster & smarter, all while done within a highly regulated & secure environment.
You have experience as a software engineer or security professional working with various stakeholders across the organization. You use this experience to guide your decision making, ranging from communication style to software architecture. You are a highly motivated engineer who will work on tasks such as delivering new tools & systems that make engineering more impactful or working with your peers to help improve the security & reliability of our systems. You will work with our Security Operations Center (SOC) to monitor, triage, & remedy security events while also improving detection logic. You are always keeping up with what is going on within the tech industry & strive to learn & share your knowledge with colleagues. You are interested in collecting data & metrics & know how to use them to effectively drive change.
A Day in the Life:
- Understand attacker methodology & defend against them by threat hunting, building detection mechanisms, & automating remediation procedures.
- Continuously improve security detection & audit capabilities using tools & signals that evolve with the ever changing security landscape & threats.
- Work directly in building & integrating security tooling & features, & work across engineering teams to ensure secure consumer products & employee systems
- Collaborate with other engineering teams to guide security & privacy initiatives by participating in design reviews, code reviews, & threat modeling
- Create alert logic, metrics & tooling & remedy security events
- Introduce & promote adoption of significant technologies & process innovations
- Promote high quality, secure software through software delivery pipeline automation
- Build out our Security Information & Event Management (SIEM) solution, incident response, & forensic capabilities.
- Pentest our various web & mobile applications & our networks & servers alongside our expert team
- Potential to work remotely
What Were Looking For:
- Lean towards tackling large challenges by picking them apart, observing, experimenting, & gathering metrics that can help drive the team towards better observability
- Responded to security incidents & built out tooling to automate response
- Have experience with cloud providers & configuration management (e.g. AWS or GCP)
- Know the importance of architecting & building systems for High-availability, Business Continuity & Disaster Recovery
- Actively grow your own skills & have a strong technical background
- Work autonomously with minimal direction & oversight
What Being at Betterment Means for You:
Joining Betterment means joining a community of folks passionate about change, being on a team that cares for your health & well-being, & being on a journey of non-stop growth & evolution.
- Youll join a Community:
- Betterment is a place to bring your best self. We welcome families (and pets) for all our activities such as lunches, company retreats, & celebrations.
- Make meaningful connections with your peers through interest groups, sports clubs, social events, meetups, & regular knowledge sharing.
- Youll stay Happy & Healthy:
- Regardless of where you are, we will ensure you're well set up & cared for, through gym reimbursements, a customizable workstation, enrollment in our 401(k) service, flexible parental leave, & a whole suite of thoughtful benefits.
- Youll have unlimited paid personal & vacation days, & a team that cares about your whole life, not just what youre working on.
- Youll Learn & Grow:
- Enhance your skills & abilities through Betterment University courses & additional spending for outside learning.
- Contribute to our knowledge & transparent workspace through mentoring & career coaching programs, weekly company meetings, show & tells & BetterDev.
Please note that Betterment is dedicated to providing accommodations to candidates with disabilities. If you need accommodations at any point throughout the interview process, please reach out to email@example.com
Betterment is the largest independent online financial advisor with more than $22 billion in assets under management. The service is designed to help increase customers long-term returns & lower taxes for retirement planning, building wealth, & other financial goals. Betterment takes advanced investment strategies & uses technology to deliver them to more than 480,000 customers across its three business lines: direct-to-consumer, Betterment for Advisors, & Betterment for Business. Learn more.
Come join us!
Were an equal opportunity employer & comply with all applicable federal, state, & local fair employment practices laws. We strictly prohibit & do not tolerate discrimination against employees, applicants, or any other covered persons because of race, color, religion, creed, national origin or ancestry, ethnicity, sex, gender (including gender nonconformity & status as a transgender or transsexual individual), sexual orientation, marital status, age, physical or mental disability, citizenship, past, current or prospective service in the uniformed services, predisposing genetic characteristic, domestic violence victim status, arrest records, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state or local law.