Refinery29 is the leading digital media & entertainment company focused on women with a global audience footprint of 249 million across all platforms.Our mission is to be a catalyst for women to feel, see, & claim their power by providing optimistic & diverse creativity, storytelling, & points of view.We deliver style & substance to an audience that's highly engaged across a variety of devices & destinations, from the original video & editorial features, to live experiences & social storytelling.Please visitwww.refinery29.com,www.refinery29.uk, andwww.refinery29.defor more information & to browse content.
About the team:
R29 Fashion celebrates & supports the power that style & clothing have in helping people discover their own unique sense of identity. Neither fashion nor style are prescriptive at Refinery29instead, we believe personal style is a tool for confidence, self expression, & resources that make us feel like our best selves. R29 Fashion & Culture also explores the business of fashion, the people shaping the industry, & the ideas & things that are driving us to wear AND share. The priorities for the team are exploring ways in which the industry can improve racial diversity, sustainability, size options, accessibility, & queer representation, while acknowledging the very real cultural impact that fashion has & having fun in the process.
R29 is looking for a passionate, strategic news writer to cover the fashion industry daily, from trending style-related news to the categorys intersection with pop culture. Our Fashion Writer should also have a proven track record for delivering original breakout ideas & angles that have the power to drive conversation beyond the hardcore fashion enthusiast. As a reporter, this candidate should have experience sourcing original fashion content, including news & market stories, interviews, industry event coverage, & hunting down exclusives & hidden content opportunities. This writer will also produce a handful of longer-lead features by approval each quarter & specifically as they relate to timely fashion-related events.
This news writer will have a knack for covering & uncovering fashion news, & driving the conversation with big & new ideas; in short, not just tracking fashion & culture news, but creating it. You instinctually see fashion through a 360 degree lens & how it directly relates to pop culture, politics, & the world around us. You are bright, curious, & aim to deliver quality storytelling that gets people talking think: cultural commentary, unconventional styling tips, sourcing whats NEXT from influencers & Instagram, all delivered with wit & a sense of humor. You care deeply about R29 Fashions ability to drive influential conversations in this space, constantly elevating Refinery29 as a thought leader in Fashion & the world of style. You are optimistic, driven, & are a generous collaborator, always eager to make a story stronger & more impactful.
What Makes an R29er?
- You have commitment & passion about the mission of R29 to be a catalyst for women to feel, see, & claim their power & realize their infinite potential.
What you'll do:
- Work with Fashion & Culture Director, Senior Fashion Editor, Global Editor-in-Chief & other editorial colleagues to pitch, take on assignments, & write thoughtful, creative takes on daily trending/news items as well as longer lead stories such as profiles/interviews, essays, & reported features. Output is a minimum of two stories per day, 10 per week (flexible based on time of year & category needs).
- Report & cover relevant fashion events, including Fashion Week, award show red carpets, etc.
- Work with the content strategy & social teams in order to hit production numbers & traffic goals
- Represent R29 at industry events, market appointments as needed; establish & strengthen industry relationships for access & exclusives
What you have:
- A minimum of 2 years experience writing for a highly trafficked, high-volume website
- Deep knowledge of the fashion industry, with strong opinions that are in line with Refinery29s inclusive, women-positive ethos
- Must be a quick, agile, & efficient worker, ready to turn around clean, smart copy
- A preexisting network of sources, industry connections, & contacts to find & break news
- Must be comfortable collaborating with a team of writers & editors, but also able to work independently
- Proven ability to produce original reporting with a unique POV that attracts media attention
- Proficient in search engine optimization & identifying trending topics