BuzzFeed (Ticker: BZFD) is home to the best of the internet. Across food, news, pop culture & commerce, our brands drive conversation & inspire what audiences watch, read, buy, & obsess over next. Born on the internet in 2006, BuzzFeed is committed to making it better: providing trusted, quality, brand-safe news & entertainment to hundreds of millions of people; making content on the internet more inclusive, empathetic, & creative; & inspiring our audience to live better lives. We'll continue to recruit the best founders & creators to join us in this mission, with more additions like Complex Networks & HuffPost to come.
We have an opening for an experienced Travel & Entertainment Manager for our NY office location (it is expected that the position will be in a hybrid work environment, working from the office & home beginning in 2022). Reporting to our Manager,Accounting you will be responsible for leading & supporting the day to day activities for all travel & entertainment across all divisions, entities & locations. This person must also have strong communication skills with individuals throughout the BuzzFeed organization including executives, in order to provide guidance as well as ensure compliance. The role will also entail financial statement close & reporting requirements globally, compliance with internal controls, various analyses, as well as day to day tasks..
As a member of a growing & fast-paced team, you will be an integral part of the Accounting team to support BuzzFeed's advancing business. Process driven, strong communication & a sense of ownership are necessary for this role. Additionally, as with any position involving financial responsibility, a sharp eye for detail & confidentiality are paramount.
You will be based in our NY office & will report to the Manager, Accounting
- Weekly audit review & approval of both credit card & cash expense report submissions per travel & entertainment policy
- Management of new expense & travel user onboarding & training
- Prepare accounting journal entries & account reconciliations for balance sheet (cash & clearing accounts) & P&L activities associated with Company travel & entertainment. Research & propose resolution for discrepancies or identified issues.
- Continue to develop & establish necessary efficiencies for collecting, analyzing & reporting of company travel & entertainment per policy.
- Interpret & communicate variances within the travel & entertainment spend monthly.
- Ongoing assistance with development, maintenance & documentation of Company Travel & Entertainment policy modifications to ensure continuous controls adherence & communicate gaps of interpretation.
- Focus strongly on daily communications with internal stakeholders in support of Company policy while ensuring a sense of customer service when understanding the different needs of multiple departments within the organization.
- Working directly with employees to address complaints, requests & other matters related to expense reporting. Questions & communications must be handled with diplomacy, friendliness, accuracy, timeliness & confidentiality.
- Manage the inputs, details & reconciliation behind employee reimbursements to the Company surrounding personal use of company issued credit card accounts.
- Manage relationships with credit card representatives & system platforms, Concur & TripActions.
- Have strong attention to detail & understanding of purpose behind tasks surrounding the accounting systems used to manage travel & entertainment. Understanding behind the necessary integrations of Workday, TripActions, Concur, NetSuite, as well as the credit card portals.
- Identify areas of operational improvement, provide recommendations, & execute on the changes through the initiation of additional platform integrations or program tools.
- Work with management & IT staff to set up & monitor implementation of new business units on the company travel & entertainment expense reporting system
- Proactively evaluate opportunities for saving costs on company T&E expenses.
- Manage & implement controls around non compliance of travel & entertainment policy & report to Senior Manager, Accounting
- Monitor trends in compliance risks & issues & propose potential process or policy changes to mitigate detected risks
- Able to review ones work & ensure free from error
- Degree in Accounting or related field
- 5+ years experience in accounting
- Travel & entertainment experience required
- Expert proficiency in Concur required
- Experience with TripActions or similar platform preferred
- Expert proficiency in Microsoft Excel
- Understanding of risk & Sarbanes- Oxley compliance a plus
- Proficiency in NetSuite preferred
- Confidence in creating reports & presenting findings to senior executives
- Strong customer service experience
Life at BuzzFeed
We celebrate inclusion & are committed to equal opportunity employment. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, & will not be discriminated against based on age, race, gender, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, disability or any other protected category.
You can expect:
- A supportive, inclusive atmosphere on a team that values your contributions
- Opportunities for personal & professional growth through work experience, offerings from our in-house Learning @ BuzzFeed team, our Employee Resource Groups, & more
- An attractive & equitable compensation package, including salary & stock options.
- A generous benefits program featuring paid time off, unlimited sick time, comprehensive medical benefits, a family leave policy, access to mental health platforms, retirement plans, gym & wellness discounts, & much more.
We want all employees to feel safe & comfortable when they engage in any in-person meetings, when visiting the office, or when working from an offsite production or meeting location. As part of this commitment to health & safety, BuzzFeed requires COVID-19 vaccines for current U.S. employees, including all newly hired employees. Requests for accommodation per applicable law for health and/or religious reasons will be considered. Union employees are subject to what is outlined in their applicable collective bargaining agreement.
Note: BuzzFeed offers remote/flexible work (unless specified to be required to be in-person) & open to hiring remote candidates who are residents in the following states: CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, GA, HI, IL, IN, KY, MA, MD, MI, MS, MT, NC, NH, NJ, NM, NY, OH, OR, PA, TX, VA, WA, & WV. For non sales roles, we can also hire in AK, AR, AZ, ID, KS, MO, ND, SC, & VT.