Stack Overflow is looking for a Senior SRE with focus on CI/CD Pipeline & Dev Tools.
The Developer Tools Engineer is responsible for tools that encompass the entire SDLC: local developer configuration, software build automation, test automation, continuous integration & release. Candidates should have experience with CI/CD, build systems, Source Code Control tools (Github Enterprise), software build/integration/test environments.
Youll be a member of our SRE team with a focus in engineering our CI/CD pipeline & developer tools to help our teams be as productive as possible. You will lead the development of the technical direction for building, packaging, & deploying software within our engineering organization. Youll work closely with our Devs to help make them more productive on their local machines, remote QA testbeds, & staging areas. Our development ecosystem is C#/.NET Core (migrating from Full Framework), plus Linux for load balancing, security, caching, & search. We have a hybrid environment including 2 data centers plus a growing Azure presence.
As an SRE, youll bring a developer mindset to systems engineering, always looking for ways to automate manual work & create repeatable, scalable systems & processes.
While we are a remote-first team with team members in all US time zones, though we do have a small preference for people that are within 1-hour transit of Jersey City, NJ or Denver, CO.
What problems are we trying to solve:
- A PR pipeline - every PR should create a testbed so developers can test, debug, & share more easily
- A cloud-based CI/CD pipeline enables multiple deployments to production every day & supports SOC2 compliance
- One source base, multiple deploy targets (from small scale of a Team, to the high security & isolation of Enterprise, to Stack Overflow public at huge scale)
- Make our .NET Core developer environment work on macOS too
- Help us move Stack Overflow to the cloud
- Complete our move to .NET Core
- Similar CI/CD reengineering for our Go-based SRE tools & open source projects
What youll do:
- Architect & builder of our CI/CD pipeline, moving us to Microsoft Azure DevOps Pipelines / GitHub Actions (from TeamCity & Octopus Deploy)
- Be part of our on-call rotation (approximately 1 week out of 4)
- Own the CI/CD pipelines for our major product areas: Enterprise (SaaS hosted in Azure), Public & Private Q&A (hosted in our data centers), & our open source projects (Such as StackExchange.Utils & DNSControl)
- Work with our quality assurance engineers to integrate testing in our pipeline
- Own the developer environment (tools & configuration of their local machine), & be responsible for creating testbed & staging environments
- Work iteratively to scope & deliver large projects
- Work on problems across multiple teams & systems (youre not stuck in a silo!)
Technologies youll work with:
- The Microsoft .NET/C# stack
- Azure DevOps Pipelines
- Linux Shell (bash)
Skills & Requirements
Were looking for:
- An experienced SRE with a vision of how CI/CD is to be done at our scale.
- In-depth experience with the Microsoft .NET ecosystem, but comfortable working with Linux & Linux Containers
- Strong written communication skills & a strong inclination to document as you go
- Experience with Azure or other cloud environments
What youll get in return:
- Flexible hours
- 20 days paid vacation + holidays
- Completely free health insurance - no copay, no premiums (US residents)
- Generous parental leave (10-16 weeks at 100% pay), family care leave, & unlimited sick days
- Employees will never be poked with a sharp stick
About Stack Overflow
Stack Overflow is the largest, most trusted online community for developers to learn, share their knowledge, & build their careers. More than 50 million professional & aspiring programmers visit Stack Overflow each month to help solve coding problems, develop new skills, & find job opportunities.
We partner with businesses to help them understand, hire, engage, & enable the world's developers. Our products & services are focused on developer marketing, technical recruiting, market research, & enterprise knowledge sharing.
We believe in hiring smart people & getting out of their way. We have an office in New York with some of the best amenities of any New York startup, & we have people who work remotely all over the world. We keep meetings & ceremony to an absolute minimum.
Employment is conditioned upon successful completion of a background check & upon having the appropriate legal right to work.
Diverse teams build better products.
Legally, we need you to know this:
Stack Overflow does not discriminate in employment matters on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, military service eligibility, veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, or any other protected class. We support workplace diversity.
But we want to add this:
We strongly believe that diversity of experience contributes to a broader collective perspective that will consistently lead to a better company & better products. We are working hard to increase the diversity of our team wherever we can & we actively encourage everyone to consider becoming a part of it.