SoundCloud is a next-generation music entertainment company powered by an ecosystem of artists, fans, & thriving communities. As one of the worlds most influential cultural platforms, SoundCloud holds a singular market position as both a music-streaming service with the largest catalogue of music, & an artist services & distribution business to help artists grow long-term, successful careers.
SoundCloud is looking for a digital media lawyer to join its Business & Legal Affairs team in New York City, reporting to the VP Product Counsel. We are looking for a collaborative, energetic, business-savvy attorney with transactional experience supporting marketing, advertising & business development teams. You will face unique challenges, work with amazing people, & take on a role that will ultimately shape the way that music & audio is created & consumed around the world.
What you will do:
- Provide ongoing legal support for SoundClouds various marketing & advertising activities, with a focus on advanced media & technology, online & mobile
- Review, draft, negotiate & manage key contracts such as marketing deals, terms & conditions for digital advertising buys/IOs, ad tech agreements, ad reseller & programmatic contracts, & sponsorships
- Respond promptly to legal requests from Marketing, Ad Sales, Partnerships & Business Development & other relevant client groups
- Advise on intellectual property rights issues including copyright & trademark
- Deliver timely, pragmatic, & business-focused legal counsel to internal business teams, even in ambiguous situations
- Ensure compliance with regulatory obligations & deal with regulatory bodies as required with a particular focus on privacy (GDPR & CCPA) & digital advertising issues
- Coordinate daily with US- & EU-based stakeholders across Business & Legal Affairs, Marketing, Product, Engineering & Security
- Provide guidance on business & legal risks, & company policies, to relevant stakeholders
- Contribute to the development of best practices with business teams
- Build & improve standard form agreements & legal processes
- Identify areas for improvement in internal processes & drive implementation
What we're looking for:
- At least 5 years of attorney experience, with a minimum of 2 years of legal experience with marketing, privacy & ad tech, preferably at a digital publisher
- Particular knowledge of the IAB Standard Terms & an understanding of how they are perceived by media agencies
- Experience working with ad sales teams on both standard media campaigns as well as brand partnerships
- Knowledge of privacy & data protection law both in the US & Europe, including GDPR & CCPA
- Experience working in a dynamic, fast-paced environment
- Entrepreneurial mindset; flexible, self-starting & hard-working
- Excellent organizational skills & ability to prioritize multiple urgent projects concurrently
- Strategic thinker & creative problem solver
- Strong written & oral communication skills
- JD & excellent academic credentials
- New York Bar admission in good standing
- Enthusiastic about SoundCloud!!
Diversity at SoundCloud:
SoundCloud is for everyone. Diversity & open expression are fundamental to our organization they help us build a social platform & global community where anyone can create, discover, & share sounds. We acknowledge the challenges in our industry, & strive to develop an inclusive culture where everyone can contribute.