Rent the Runway is transforming the way modern women get dressed & disrupting the $2.4 trillion global fashion industry by enabling women to rent, versus buy, clothing. Founded in 2009 with a vision to build the worlds first living closet, RTR believes that women everywhere will soon have a subscription to fashion. Rent the Runway has pioneered a new industry by transforming the traditional model of clothing consumption, making apparel rental an indispensable utility while also powering women to feel their best every day. RTR offers apparel, accessories & home decor from over 700 designer partners & has built in-house proprietary technology & a one-of-a-kind reverse logistics operation. Under CEO & Co-Founder Jennifer Hymans leadership, Rent the Runway has been named to CNBCs Disruptor 50 five times in ten years, & has been placed on Fast Companys Most Innovative Companies list multiple times.
About the Role:
This is one of the critical leadership roles at RTR, a data-driven company that is changing the way women get dressed. In this role, you will manage all efforts to build machine learning products across the business - consumer/website, marketing, operations, & inventory. That includes personalization, inventory catalog optimization, network optimization, allocation, demand forecasting, & much more. You will grow & lead a team of experienced data scientists & machine learning engineers who own the full life cycle of data products, from exploratory analysis, building MVPs to deploying, maintaining, & iterating on production systems. You will directly report to our VP of Data & partner with C-level executives & the rest of senior leadership to shape & support our data strategy & develop a roadmap for internal & customer facing data products.
What Youll Do:
- Translate business requirements to data science problems & lead the team to deliver best in class solutions on startup timelines
- Partner with stakeholders across merchandising, product, operations, marketing, & engineering teams to identify high impact opportunities to leverage data to better serve our users
- Develop our long term data products roadmap across multiple dimensions including personalization, demand forecasting, inventory allocation & transportation network optimization.
- Drive tangible business impact across RTR far beyond research & analytics
- Solidify data as a competitive moat for the company
- Grow the Data Science team by hiring talented candidates & developing leadership & deep expertise in the team
- Provide hands-on technical guidance to challenging data science problems faced by the team on a day-to-day basis
- You have a strong academic background in a quantitative field, for example mathematics, physics, computer science, engineering, statistics, etc.
- You have previous experience managing & growing a team of data scientists
- You have designed & lead data science initiatives in the past
- You are technically strong & have built machine learning based data products yourself.
- You possess the rare ability to understand data deeply AND be able to explain it clearly in non-technical terms.
- If you have experience in a subscription business (this is a plus)
- You are eager to roll up your sleeves & dig into any problem in a fast-paced startup environment.
- You have a strong ability to understand business priorities, recognize leverage in data science projects, & prioritize appropriately.
At Rent the Runway, were committed to the happiness & well-being of our employees, & aim to create a workplace that fosters both personal & professional growth. Our benefits include, but are not limited to:
- Generous Paid Time Off including vacation, paid bereavement, & family sick leave - every employee needs time to take care of themselves & their family.
- Universal Paid Parental Leave for both parents + flexible return to work program - because we know your newest family member(s) deserve your undivided attention.
- Paid Sabbatical after 5 years of continuous service - Unplug, recharge, & have some fun!
- Comprehensive health, vision, dental, FSA & dependent care from day 1 of employment - Your health comes first & weve got you covered.
- Industry leading 401k match - an investment in your future.