ABOUT THE TEAM AND ROLE
As theSkimms Communications Manager, you will create & execute communications strategies to promote theSkimm brand. You have a passion for creative storytelling & an innovative approach to communications, thinking outside the box & embracing non-traditional PR channels. You will manage press relations, draft materials, staff interviews, & maintain comprehensive media lists. You have the ability to be thoughtful & strategic while simultaneously executing & producing results in a fast-paced environment.
WHAT YOULL BE DOING
- Leveraging non-traditional press channels & strategic influencer engagement to increase brand awareness
- Producing proactive & dynamic pitches to elevate theSkimm brand & supporting key company initiatives, content, & business objectives
- Drafting high quality written material, press releases, pitches, messaging, Q&As, & briefings to support press interviews
- Developing & maintaining strong working relationships with editors, reporters, & producers across consumer & business press
- Maintaining press contacts & clips, thought leadership opportunities, & award submission calendars
- Assisting on ad-hoc special projects & supporting internal communications
- Working cross-functionally with internal teams to support content, campaigns, & events
WHAT WILL SET YOU UP FOR SUCCESS
- 3-5 years of experience in public relations or communications; agency experience a plus
- Strong writing skills & an eye for detail
- Keen understanding of the media landscape
- Self-starter attitude with a demonstrated ability to successfully manage multiple projects under pressure
- Bachelor's degree
WHAT WE OFFER
- Comprehensive insurance plans, commuter benefits & 401(k) starting on your first day
- Competitive salary & equity packages
- Flexible vacation policy & generous holiday observances
- One Medical Membership
- Gym membership reimbursement
- Complimentary access to theSkimms growing suite of membership products
- The opportunity to be part of a values-driven, hardworking & diverse group of people building a membership company that makes it easier to live smarter
theSkimm is a membership company dedicated to helping female millennials live smarter lives. By seamlessly integrating into our members existing routines, we've become a trusted brand to more than 12 million people. We're fundamentally changing the way our members consume news, consider products or services, & take action on important things happening in their lives. Our flagship product, the Daily Skimm, is still the fastest growing email newsletter on the market, & we've grown our product suite to fit into other routines at home, work, & on-the-go. theSkimm App debuted at #1 in News in iTunes, our podcast "Skimm'd from The Couch" reached #1 in Apple Podcasts within hours of launching, & more than 200,000 people voted with us in the 2018 midterm elections.
As theSkimm grows, we're committed to helping our members tackle big decision-making moments in life by giving them the information they need to make informed & empowered choices whether that be in civic engagement, finance, career, health, & more. Founded in 2012 by two friends on a couch, we've since grown to over 100 employees based in NYC. We are passionate. We are a TEAM. We work hard, but we know when to take a break to enjoy each other's company. Our products help people live smarter lives & we're building a brand trusted by millions of female millennials across the country. Join us!
This is a full-time role based in New York, NY.