Engineer, Runtime & RVM
Location: New York, Hybrid Remote, or Remote in the US
We have offices in New York City & London & this position can be based in either office, hybrid-remote, or remote within the US or UK (subject to your existing legal right to work in either jurisdiction).
OpenFin is a fast-growing financial technology company backed by the worlds largest banks & most respected Fintech VCs, including J.P. Morgan, Barclays, HSBC, Wells Fargo, SC Ventures, Bain Capital Ventures, DRW, Nyca Partners, & Pivot Investment Partners. OpenFin modernizes & democratizes app development & distribution in the finance space. We provide a secure OS that brings a fast & intuitive app experience to the financial desktop. Built on Googles Chromium & GitHubs Electron open source projects, OpenFin combines native experience, data sharing, lightning-fast distribution, & robust security with an agile web development & deployment model to accelerate digital transformation & innovation. OpenFin is used by thousands of developers to deploy & run more than 3500 apps at more than 2400 financial institutions.
About the Role
Our Chromium/Electron based Container team is hiring! We are seeking a senior C++ developer with hands-on experience working across various stages of software development & a passion for designing, building & innovation. In addition, an active interest in a wide range of technologies, & a desire to learn new ones! Supported by our array of expert engineers, you will play a critical role in developing creative solutions for our clients.
You will work closely with Googles Chromium & GitHubs Electron open source projects as well as OpenFins proprietary financial deployment platform.
Our ideal candidate has a quality first mindset & is a solutions oriented, reliable self starter with a strong attention to detail. You should be a quick learner that enjoys solving unique problems. Once again, the ability to learn & quickly comprehend is critical to success. People who enjoy going deep into understanding the foundations & seek to learn, will make great team members.
Although we are FinTech, finance knowledge is not required. We have an informal, collaborative & fun working environment & the person in this seat will get to work with an exceptional team of engineers across the US & UK.
- Design & build capabilities that power some of the most complex & mission critical applications at the world's largest financial institutions
- Apply the knowledge, rigor & patterns typically used to create backend server or full stack architectures to instead solve complex front end challenges on the desktop
- Quickly get up to speed with technologies & products of interest to OpenFin & our customers. Many of the problems we solve are unique & require creative solutions
- Make impactful & insightful contributions to code reviews & design discussions
- Identify challenges to adoption of APIs (developer ergonomics, failure states, future unplanned use cases) & suggest solutions to these, whether through code, API design, or documentation
- Recommend improvements to the software designs & code to peers & customers
- In partnership with the design team & other engineers, leverage your knowledge of commonly used user interfaces (i.e. the windows operating system, browsers like Chrome, Firefox, & other specialty browsers, modern desktop apps like slack & vscode) to identify edge cases or usability concerns.
- Where necessary, create spikes or proof of concept code to address technical unknowns, & where applicable promote these into production quality code
- Write reusable code - DRY concept
- Contribute to growing our team & our culture
Our Ideal Candidate Has Experience and/or Interest In
- Highly complex asynchronous programming
- Collaborating with UX/Design/QA teams
- Desktop or container technologies such as PWAs, ElectronJS, or the OpenFin container
- Working in an agile environment & the ability to think ahead of the sprint
- Experience working in enterprise production environments
- Experience using Microsoft Windows native APIs
- Linux/MacOS development experience a plus
- Excellent problem solving skills
What We're Looking For
- 3+ years of experience building complex consumer grade software & a good understanding of software design patterns
- A strong command on using C++ in a Windows or cross platform environment
- Experience with a wide range of other technologies & frameworks such as .NET, Java, Python, Go, React, NextJS, Mocha, etc.is preferred
- Ability to think through complex edge cases in a product that will be deployed to a wide variety of customer in support of mission critical applications
- Ability to foster a collaborative & supportive environment working within engineering, product & customer solutions teams & be comfortable communicating with clients on occasion
- The ability to be adaptable & nimble to meet the needs of various stakeholders & shift tasks as necessary
- Excellent analytical thinking, oral & written communication skills with the ability to influence peers
Life at OpenFin
At OpenFin, our mission is to stay on the cutting edge of web technologies & to enable our customers to do the same. We pride ourselves on our friendly, diverse, understanding & supportive culture. Our goal is to create a space where employees can learn & innovate, & overall, have a good time doing it. We value & appreciate that our employees have a wide set of interests & experiences. Getting to know each other & forming relationships is important, which is why we regularly host offsite events, happy hours & virtual social hours, in addition to having a variety of Employee Resource Groups to participate in. Our environment is conducive to a productive & enjoyable learning experience -- aligned together, moving fast & working to create compelling solutions for our clients.
RECRUITERS NOTICE: Recruiters - if you wish to reach out to us regarding this job posting, you may reach out to email@example.com in order for your communication to be reviewed. OpenFin will review these communications if external help is needed for a position. Agencies may not contact individuals within our organization with solicitations. Firms that do not follow these guidelines risk having all communication from their firm being blocked. We thank you in advance for your cooperation in following our process.