Skillz is the leading mobile games platform connecting players in fair, fun, & meaningful competition.
The gaming industry is larger than movies, music, & books, with more than 2.7 billion gamers playing monthly & 10 million developers worldwide. Mobile is the fastest-growing segment of the gaming market, expected to increase from $77 billion in 2020 to $150 billion in 2025.
As the first publicly-traded (NYSE: SLZ) mobile esports platform, Skillz has pioneered the future of the gaming industry. The Skillz platform helps developers build multi-million dollar franchises by enabling social competition in their games. Leveraging its patented technology, Skillz hosts billions of casual esports tournaments for millions of mobile players worldwide, & distributes millions in prizes each month.
Through its philanthropic initiatives, Skillz has harnessed the power of its platform to transform the way nonprofits engage with donors, enabling anyone with a mobile device to support causes such as the American Red Cross, Susan G. Komen, American Cancer Society, & NAACP by playing in Skillz tournaments.
Skillz has also earned recognition as one of Fast Companys Most Innovative Companies, a two-time winner of CNBCs Disruptor 50, one of Forbes Next Billion-Dollar Startups, & the #1 fastest-growing company in America on the 5000.
What Were Looking For:
Skillz is looking for a world-class Corporate Communications leader who will work closely with our Head of Comms & executive team to drive strategy & results. This proactive, collaborative individual should be a creative & innovative storyteller who will explore both new & established approaches to achieve our goals. The role will oversee all corporate communications efforts, including business & trade media relations, financial communications, thought leadership, internal communications, reputation management & crisis/issues management. The ideal candidate will have experience driving measurable results in a fast-paced environment & demonstrated success building, scaling, & managing teams. It's also important for the VP to establish credibility at the executive level & be well-versed in championing consensus & approval for cross-functional efforts.
What You Will Do:
- Develop & lead our corporate communications strategy, ensuring it is aligned with company leadership & overall business strategy
- Partner closely with the Head of Comms & other senior members of the Communications team to develop engaging, impactful narratives about Skillz & its products, including the contributions the company makes to society, its meteoric growth, & what makes it a best place to work
- Attract, retain, & cultivate a world-class corporate communications team
- Onboard & manage agency partners as required, resulting in meaningful ROI
- Lead a robust media relations function, delivering exceptional results that effectively position Skillz maintaining strong working relationships with business, financial, technology, & trade media
- Leverage both earned & owned channels to ensure that Skillz is valued appropriately in the eyes of customers, partners, employees, investors, the media, & influencers as an industry leader
- Consult & advise executives on corporate communications matters
- Senior communications executive with at least 15+ years of work experience leading & scaling communications teams in fast-paced, high-growth business & technology environments
- Foundational experience in journalism & media relations is desirable, as is the combination of PR agency & in-house leadership roles
- An understanding of the startup-to-public technology company journey & culture, & the challenges of evolving a narrative to keep pace with that change
- Experience with crisis communications & change management, & ability to maintain calm under fire
- Solid media contacts among business, trade and/or tech outlets, as well as ability to build new relationships quickly
- 10+ years of people management experience, with the demonstrated ability to recruit, develop, & retain top talent
- An intuitive & effective manager & mentor, who is capable of both counseling senior communications leaders & growing junior team members alike
- Proven ability to run & deliver results on large-scale, complex projects under tight deadlines through rigorous planning & ruthless prioritization
- Business development mindset where communications directly contributes to business objectives
- Exceptional writer & dynamic communicator
- Entrepreneurial & a hands-on style with a strong bias for action & results while working effectively in an innovative, unstructured environment that values collaboration without ego
- Operates at a high level of intensity, acting with a sense of urgency without sacrificing excellence
Skillz embraces diversity & is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. As part of our commitment to diversifying our workforce, we do not discriminate on the basis of age, race, sex, gender, gender identity, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, marital status, citizenship, veteran status, or disability status, & we operate in compliance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.