Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, & operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, & humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company & data company all rolled into one.
Customers & users across the globe use Planet's data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, & solve our worlds toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, & software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture & community & we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first & prepares our company for growth. Join Planet & be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is headquartered in San Francisco, California, Earth.
About the Role:
The Engineering Program Manager for Special Projects in the EngOps org at Planet must be a fearless organizer & an excellent cross-functional leader with multiple teams, both inside Planet & with external partners. A successful candidate will help set strategy, help drive problem solving efforts, eliminate roadblocks, execute on schedule, & be responsible for managing/communicating status & issues along the way.
The position demands technical strength & expertise in many areas, including Optical, Mechanical, Electrical, Embedded Software, RF, & Manufacturing.
Impact Youll Own:
- Lead a significant satellite development program through planning & requirements baseline to critical design, & then through build, test & launch.
- Manage the workflow, ensure baseline versus developing changes are kept clear, customer engagements are defined & controlled & the team's roles & responsibilities are well understood & managed.
- Develop project schedules & budgets & track performance across the all phases of the project.
- Execution of technical plans at the module & system level both internal to Planet & with external suppliers; including project definition, budget, Integrated Master Schedule (IMS) & strategic plans for follow on missions.
- Efficient oversight of all program phases; MCR, SRR, PDR, CDR, IRR, SRR, LRR (etc.)
- Coordinate schedules, priorities, & status with engineering, stakeholders & management.
- Work directly with multiple engineering teams & cross-functional stakeholders to ensure productivity & progress on multiple concurrent projects.
- Develop tools & processes to measure & improve engineering productivity across Spacecraft Engineering.
- Drive root cause problem solving, identify, & eliminate blocking issues.
What You Bring:
- BA/BS in a technically relevant field
- Self-motivated & enthusiastic with proven creative & critical thinking capabilities.
- Passion for establishing a new program for space exploration & space technology.
- Experience in an engineering project management role for the development of software or hardware systems in a cross-functional, cross-organizational context.
- Experience with the qualification of suppliers, processes, or products.
- Outstanding communication & facilitation skills.
- Experience leading operational projects from evaluation & design to execution.
What Makes You Stand Out:
- Experience applying agile software development practices.
- Experience managing spacecraft hardware & software build & release cycles.
- Proven ability to work on assignments that require data evaluation, recommendation development, & decision making.
- Excellent problem-solving, organizational & analytical skills, with the ability to evolve product strategy based on research, data, & industry trends.
- Experience in both Mechanical & Electrical engineering.
- Track record of shipping products.
Benefits While Working at Planet:
- Comprehensive Health Plan
- Wellness program & onsite massages in specific offices
- Flexible Time Off
- Recognition Programs
- Commuter Benefits
- Learning & Tuition Reimbursement
- Parental Leave
- Offsites & Happy Hours
- Volunteering Benefits
Some Press About Us:
Our CEO, Will Marshall featured on TED and featured in a Planet Blog
Planet: Bringing Space Back Down to Earth
Tiny, privately owned satellites are changing how we view the Earth features in NBC News
Planet And Rocket Lab Create Mission Patch To Honor Women In Aerospace Planet Blog
Why we care so much about Belonging.
Were dedicated to helping the whole Planet, & to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices & on all of our teams. Thats why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity & inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but youre thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please... do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We dont just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill peoples careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope youre excited to come along for the ride.
Planet is committed to building a community where everyone belongs & we invite people from all backgrounds to apply. Planet is an equal opportunity employer, & committed to providing employment opportunities regardless of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, childbirth & breastfeeding, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected classification, in accordance with applicable federal, state, & local laws.
Planet is an inclusive community & we know that everyone has their own needs. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation during the interview process, please call Planet's front office at 669-214-9404 or contact your recruiter with your request. Your message will be confidential & we will be happy to assist you.