The Infrastructure Engineering teams are looking for experienced & passionate software & systems engineers to help ensure that customers around the world can access Squarespace sites quickly & reliably. We work together with the product teams to maintain the reliability of our system, using a fleet of microservices, Kubernetes operators, our hybrid data centers, & an industry-leading resource efficiency to achieve outstanding results.
The Compute team...
We firmly believe in the SRE philosophy of applying software engineering methodologies to operational tasks. We communicate with SLOs & know that if you can't measure it, you can't improve it. We create self-healing & self-orchestrating distributed systems. We operate multiple physical data centers & leverage this fact to our advantage with the ability to control every part of the entire stack. You will report to the engineering manager in NYC. Compute is a remote-first team with members who work full-time from remote locations & members who frequently work from home.
We have introduced our Flexible Work Philosophy for Squarespace employees, which you can find on our career page. For those who will work out of our offices 1-5 days a week, we have also introduced a detailed return to office approach to guarantee a safe return for our Squarespace employees. The safety of our people is our top priority & we will continue to monitor the status of COVID19.
You'll Get To
- Build internal services like Kubernetes operators, automated VM provisioning, application service discovery & dynamic routing (service mesh) between our data centers & public cloud providers, platform as a service abstractions, & self service configuration of our production infrastructure.
- Write high-quality & performant code that orchestrates the infrastructure to serve millions of websites securely, quickly, & reliably. Create, own, & operate important distributed systems that allow Squarespace to deploy code safely & quickly.
- Share our on-call rotation & be an escalation point to assess complex problems in real-time across our high-traffic software systems.
- Lead by example & break down how you make decisions to help grow team members who are earlier in their career.
- Excel in an autonomous culture & bring technical leadership to our runtime platform including Kubernetes, VM management, Hybrid Cloud Technologies, Capacity Planning, Security Infrastructure, & more
Who We're Looking For
- Have technical discussions - both granular & high-level - about technology. Empathetic discussion allows the team to make the best decisions & technology choices to serve our users.
- 5+ years of experience building large-scale software & distributed systems in *nix environments with technologies that power internal & public clouds: Kubernetes, Linux containers, VMware hypervisors, GCP/GKE, Terraform, Ansible, TCP/UDP, Anycast routing, Calico.
- 2+ years of experience working with the Cloud Native Computing Foundation technology stack including Kubernetes, Envoy, & Prometheus, & other related technologies such as Grafana, Drone, Calico, & Hashicorp Vault.
- A solid foundation in computer science, with competencies in data structures, algorithms, & software design practices. Understand paradigms for automatic & automated testing of distributed systems. Build tools that keep us shipping great code safely.
- BS degree in Computer Science or related technical field or equivalent industry experience.
Benefits & Perks
- Health insurance with 100% premium covered for you & your dependent children
- Fertility & adoption benefits
- Headspace mindfulness app subscription
- Retirement benefits with employer match
- Flexible vacation & paid time off
- Up to 20 weeks of paid family leave
- Equity plan for all employees
- Pretax commuter benefits
- Education reimbursement
- Employee donation match to community organizations
- 7 Employee Resource Groups across locations
- Dog-friendly workplace
- Free lunch & snacks
- Private rooftop
Squarespace is a leading all-in-one website building & ecommerce platform that enables millions to build a brand & transact with their customers in an impactful & beautiful online presence. Our products allow anyone at any stage of their journey to manage their projects & businesses through websites, domains, ecommerce, marketing tools, & scheduling, along with tools for managing a social media presence with Unfold & hospitality business management through Tock. Squarespace democratizes access to outstanding design, helping our customers in approximately 200 countries & territories maintain consistent branding across all digital touchpoints to stand out online. Our team of more than 1,400 is headquartered in downtown New York City, with offices in Dublin, Ireland, Portland, Oregon, Los Angeles, California & Chicago, Illinois. For more information, visit www.squarespace.com.
Today, more than a million people around the globe use Squarespace to share different perspectives & experiences with the world. Not only do we embrace & celebrate the diversity of our customers, but we also work toward the same in our employees. At Squarespace, we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, national origin, gender, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or parental status, disability, veteran status, or other class protected by applicable law. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.