Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, & operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, & humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company & data company all rolled into one.
Customers & users across the globe use Planet's data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, & solve our worlds toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, & software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture & community & we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first & prepares our company for growth. Join Planet & be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is headquartered in San Francisco, California, Earth.
About the Role:
This role is in support of the Director of Special Project Development & the broader Strategy & Planet Federal teams to support the earliest stages of new space missions & technology development. This position requires close coordination with internal constituencies & the ability to communicate & collaborate effectively with key stakeholders, technical partners, & team members around the world.
Impact Youll Own:
- You are the Strategy team member that supports any projects not directly related to Planets standard imagery & imagery-derived product offerings. You support the early stages of the business development process, from opportunity identification to evaluation & capture.
- You have sufficient technical expertise to understand Planets technology stack, both space systems & software. You are able to assess Planets capability & to help map to contract opportunities for co-developed technology demonstration concepts.
- You work with the broader Planet Federal & Business Development teams to maintain awareness of, monitor for, & evaluate potential funding opportunities that align with Planets business & technology interests, with particular focus on contract opportunities sponsored by the U.S. Government.
- You will be a member of the team that represents Planets technology innovation to the U.S. Government, & will be helping to identify novel project offerings & aspirational efforts that align with the missions needs of government organizations such as the Space Development Agency, DIU, U.S. Space Force, NASA, & the National Reconnaissance Office.
- You will support broader, corporate-wide efforts to integrate complex aerospace engineering & business development initiatives, including providing support to strategy assessments & to the development of product & space technology roadmaps.
- In collaboration with Planet Federal, you will also help source, assess, & support additional special projects that may include joint ventures or other partnerships.
What You Bring:
- Excellent project & time management skills, being able to handle multiple tasks simultaneously without sacrificing attention to detail.
- Experience using APIs or developing scripts to regularly monitor key websites & that provide automated notifications & updates on relevant contract opportunities.
- Outstanding communication (speaking & writing), interpersonal, & organizational skills.
- An ability to work with cross-functional teams in a wide variety of geographies & sectors.
- A deep interest & passion for Planets mission & for creating a vibrant 21st century aerospace ecosystem & commercial GEOINT market.
What Makes You Stand Out:
- A strong interest in developing business cases, competitive assessments, & go-to-market
- Familiarity with U.S. Government opportunity solicitation processes & procurement
channels (e.g., https://acq.westfields.net/, https://www.diu.mil/work-with-us/open-solicitations,
https://sam.gov/, https://www.govwin.com/, etc...).
- Previous experience reviewing or writing RFI responses, white papers, & proposals in
support of U.S. Government programs.
- A strong understanding of remote sensing & commercial satellite systems is highly desired.
Perks & Total Rewards While Fellowing or Interning at Planet:
- Office & WiFi Reimbursements
- Flex Fridays (once a month)
- Volunteering Benefits
- Commuter Benefits if you are near HQ
Some Press About Us:
Our CEO, Will Marshall featured on TED and featured in a Planet Blog
Planet: Bringing Space Back Down to Earth
Tiny, privately owned satellites are changing how we view the Earth features in NBC News
Planet And Rocket Lab Create Mission Patch To Honor Women In Aerospace Planet Blog
Why we care so much about Belonging.
Were dedicated to helping the whole Planet, & to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices & on all of our teams. Thats why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity & inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but youre thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please... do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We dont just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill peoples careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope youre excited to come along for the ride.
Planet is committed to building a community where everyone belongs & we invite people from all backgrounds to apply. Planet is an equal opportunity employer, & committed to providing employment opportunities regardless of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, childbirth & breastfeeding, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected classification, in accordance with applicable federal, state, & local laws.
Planet is an inclusive community & we know that everyone has their own needs. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation during the interview process, please call Planet's front office at 669-214-9404 or contact your recruiter with your request. Your message will be confidential & we will be happy to assist you.