Have you ever tried to hire a plumber? How about a house cleaner? If you have, chances are it took you way longer than it should. In the era of instant-everything, you shouldnt have to waste an entire afternoon researching, calling & vetting local service professionals whenever you need one. The market for hiring them is huge $1 trillion in the US alone but the process is inefficient & largely offline.
Thumbtack is transforming this experience end-to-end, building a marketplace that matches millions of people with local pros for almost any project. In making these connections, not only do our customers get more done every day, our pros are able to grow their businesses & make a living doing what theyre great at.
These customers & pros come from all walks of life & every county in the country. We want our team to reflect that. If you come from an underrepresented background in tech, we strongly encourage you to apply. We challenge ourselves every day to make this a place where you can thrive just the way you are, so we can build a product that does the same for our customers & pros.
About the Infrastructure Engineering Team
The Infrastructure Engineering team builds & operates the compute infrastructure necessary to connect customers & pros at scale. Our engineering teams are constantly developing new software & product features to deliver a seamless experience for hiring pros & getting service leads, & our team ensures they need to worry as little as possible about the complexities of modern cloud infrastructure.
We focus on containerization, observability, scalability, & security, so that its easy for the average engineer to do the right thing. To read more about the problems that our team is taking on, visit our engineering blog.
About the Role
We are seeking a passionate & highly motivated individual to join Thumbtacks Infrastructure Engineering team. The role is a deeply technical one, & a successful candidate will have a strong understanding of architecting modern cloud infrastructure systems, as well as directly leading teams of engineers to build them. We study current trends in operational philosophies & methodologies, & think critically about how to apply them to our work, so that our systems are available, durable, observable, & self-healing.
- Build & grow an amazing team of both application & infrastructure software engineers with a strong culture of balancing excellence with moving fast.
- Lead & manage the team as a hands-on technical leader. Help the team make key technical decisions, unblock the team, & guide the team on execution. We expect managers in this role to deeply understand technical infrastructure & review code & configuration changes.
- Work closely with engineers to architect critical production systems & design a roadmap for our infrastructure in collaboration with other engineering leaders.
- Collaborate closely with product engineering leads to ensure our technology platform meets our company goals & allows product development to move fast.
- Develop strategies for hardening our network & application infrastructure alongside the Security team.
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, & we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
- 2+ years experience in an engineering management role & 5+ years experience building & operating software at scale.
- Strong management, communication & collaboration skills.
- Strong technical skills & is willing to be hands on. Able to guide the team in systems design & architecture, help debug issues, & develop an infrastructure roadmap.
- Deep technical knowledge in at least one area typically associated with infra/ops roles (network design, security, data stores, et al.)
- Broad familiarity with tooling across infrastructure-as-code (Terraform, CloudFormation), container management (ECS, Kubernetes), data stores (Postgres, MySQL, DynamoDB), observability (logging, metrics, graphing, alerting, tracing).
- Experience architecting cloud-native applications in a cloud environment, AWS preferred.
- Expertise in designing, analyzing, & troubleshooting large-scale distributed systems
- Deep technical knowledge in any of: Elasticsearch, Postgres, Kafka, InfluxDB, Jenkins
- Strong understanding of metrics & observability, & ability to connect data with end user impact.
- Working experience with DevSecOps practices, SIEM, SOAR, & Security Operations Center (SOC)
More About Us
Thumbtack is a local services marketplace one of the largest in the U.S. that helps millions of people hire local professionals. With hundreds of unique service categories, customers can find a Thumbtack pro for almost anything: landscapers, electricians, personal trainers, even math tutors. And in making these connections, we empower local pros too. Helping them get new customers & make a living doing what theyre great at.
Founded in 2008 & headquartered in San Francisco, Thumbtack is backed by over $400 million in investment from Sequoia Capital, CapitalG, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners & Baillie Gifford.
Thumbtack is a virtual-first company, meaning you can live & work from any one of our approved locations across the United States, Ontario or the Philippines. When it is safe to gather, we will begin to host in-person events on a regular basis. Remote employees will be expected to travel occasionally for these events to a Thumbtack library or offsite team-building location. Additionally, employees in the San Francisco, Salt Lake City, Toronto & Manila areas will have opt-in access to communal workspace at one of our Thumbtack libraries.
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace & do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest & conviction records.