Over the next 10 years, biotech will fundamentally rewrite the way we live. Gene editing & cell therapy will dramatically change how we treat cancer & other major illnesses. Biofuels & biomaterials will transform the cars we drive, the clothes we wear, & the makeup of everyday objects. Crop science & synthetic biology will produce sustainable & ethical food. Benchlings mission is to accelerate the research that propels us towards this future, & magnify its impact, through modern software.
Every day, scientists around the world use Benchling in their efforts to solve humanity's most pressing problems. For these scientists, Benchling is the central technology they use to conduct their research.
Benchling was founded by a team of MIT graduates & has raised funding from Benchmark, Andreessen Horowitz, Thrive Capital, & Y Combinator. Our customers include pharmaceutical giants, leading biotechs, & the world's most renowned research institutes.
Benchling is seeking an experienced Professional Services Engagement Manager to oversee implementations for our largest & most strategic enterprise customers. These implementations are generally multi-phased, 6-12 month, cross-departmental programs which require deploying Benchling into complex enterprise IT environments, interfacing with other vendor solutions, & legacy applications. This is a highly visible role, requiring you to partner with both external & internal teams to drive projects to successful completion.
The Engagement Manager leads the services team from project kick off to successful go live, & plays a key role in creating solutions that achieve our customers scientific & business outcomes. You will interface with both project team members & senior Scientific & IT leaders, establish credibility & confidence from the first meeting, & manage customer expectations throughout the project journey.
The Engagement Manager must be comfortable with Life Sciences R&D processes & scientific concepts, have experience with enterprise SaaS software implementations, & be adept at working with internal & external project teams. You must be able to translate customer objectives into detailed project plans, oversee projects, & drive execution.
You will be the project leader, & will be seen as a trusted advisor who has the customers best interests in mind, even when it means having a hard conversation, or convincing them that what they think they want may not be what they actually need, nor what Benchling best practices recommend.
WHAT YOU WILL WORK ON
- Manage Professional Services engagements & provide oversight for our largest enterprise customers, covering multiple projects, with a focus on delivery of scope on time, within budget, & with high quality outcomes.
- Establish & maintain relationships at all levels of the customer organization including project team members, executive sponsors & key stakeholders.
- Partner with internal Benchling teams to translate client requirements, objectives, & goals into actionable designs & build plans that can be delivered against.
- Manage the activities of the Benchling project team & drive execution of the project plan.
- Set clear expectations with internal & external team members, & hold them accountable for deadlines & project deliverables.
- Manage customer escalations, diagnose project issues & risks, develop contingency plans, & implement changes to drive risk mitigation.
- Actively manage project financials, including team utilization, budget vs actual hours, project margin, travel & other expenses.
- Run governance meetings & report regularly both internally & externally on project status, milestones, KPIs, accomplishments, & deliverables.
- Identify, communicate, & work with sales to develop opportunities identified during project execution, collaborate on the creation of proposals, estimates, change orders, & new statements of work.
- Work with Product Management & Engineering to scope & price proof of concepts or new & unique solutions that encompass various aspects of the product including extensions & customizations.
- Document lessons learned & recommend process & methodology improvements to improve execution on future projects.
- At least 5 years client facing implementation and/or consulting experience, with demonstrated record of successfully managing enterprise scale projects.
- BA/BS or M.Sc. in Microbiology, Genetics, Bioengineering, Biochemistry or similar Life Science field. Prior experience in a lab or research setting highly preferred.
- Experience working with Life Sciences companies with an understanding of R&D processes & scientific concepts. Must be able to confidently interface & build trust with scientists, IT, & Director/VP level audiences in top-20 Biotech & Pharma companies.
- Proven experience leading 5-10+ person implementation teams to deliver multi-workstream projects.
- Experienced in project management for enterprise software deployments including scope management, budget control, project & executive reporting, & project financials.
- Understanding of project commercials including SOWs, budgeting, & resourcing.
- Superior project management, organizational, & time management skills.
- Independent, adaptable & can thrive in a fast-paced startup environment.
- Excellent communication skills in verbal, written & presentation formats.
- Ability to travel up to 50% based on customer & project needs.
Benchling welcomes everyone. We believe every member of our team enriches our diversity & inclusion by broadening our ways of problem-solving. Even if you dont meet 100% of the qualifications for this job, we strongly encourage you to apply.
- Admit mistakes & shortcomings
- Deliver results
- Disagree & commit
- Obsess over customers
- Rely on work ethic
- Show empathy
- Recruit & develop the best
- Sweat the details
- Think & communicate clearly
- Unite around the mission
PERKS AND BENEFITS
- Work with a talented yet humble team
- Competitive compensation & equity package
- Medical, dental, & vision insurance
- Monthly health & wellness stipend
- Weekly virtual social events, & annual company retreats
- *$1,000 work-from-home stipend
In following best practices & safety protocols, all Benchling employees are expected to work remotely until we are further advised that it is safe for employees to resume work in their respective office locations.
*To support remote work conditions, Benchling provides each employee a one-time stipend of $1,000 upon commencing employment, & additional discounted employee purchase plans for home-office equipment.
We are an equal opportunity employer & value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
We also consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest & conviction records, consistent with applicable federal, state & local law, including but not limited to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.