Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, & operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, & humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company & data company all rolled into one.
Customers & users across the globe use Planet's data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, & solve our worlds toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, & software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture & community & we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first & prepares our company for growth. Join Planet & be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is headquartered in San Francisco, California, Earth.
About the Role:
Are you a Quality Leader passionate about software quality through automation & engineering excellence? Do you have a particular passion for customer facing applications & APIs? Then we would like to talk to you! We are growing our Quality Engineering team & are looking for passionate leaders who are well versed & advocate for shift left methodology, automation, customer experience & team owned quality!
Impact Youll Own:
- Lead: You will provide guidance, direction & supervise the day-to-day function of a team of Quality Engineers that work across different products & possibly technologies.
- Build: Partner with the Product & Engineering managers to ensure skilled QE talent are part of the team with an appropriate ratio between Developer Engineers:Quality Engineers
- Empower. You empower agile teams by bringing focus to quality. You champion evangelize, influence & advocate for quality; ensuring quality is built-in as the software/service/product is being developed.
- Automation is crucial. You ensure there is collaboration between qe/dev/prod to define, establish & continually evolve an automation strategy.
- Measure. In collaboration with the team, you identify & ensure the team is measuring product health, quality & customer experience.
- Knowledge. You are knowledgeable & aware of existing testing technologies & practices, & keep attuned to what is changing or new. You enjoy sharing your knowledge to upskill the team & QE community.
What You Bring:
- 6+ years of industry experience, including 2+ years as a technical lead responsible for quality assurance for a software product with a focus on release management, & at least 2 years of hands-on experience as a quality engineer or release engineer.
- Outstanding communication & facilitation skills, in both local & globally distributed teams. As well as being a cross functional team influencer.
- Experience with testing cloud-based public services.
- Ability to successfully manage & organize multiple parallel projects & priorities.
- Experience identifying gaps in the requirements or testing processes & able to generate solutions for continuous improvement.
What Makes You Stand Out:
- Familiarity with geo-spatial data, satellite imagery & remote sensing is a plus.
- Experience with agile development & setting up scrum and/or kanban boards
- Experienced in developing test automation using python/go or other languages.
Benefits While Working at Planet:
- Comprehensive Health Plan
- Wellness program & onsite massages in specific offices
- Flexible Time Off
- Recognition Programs
- Commuter Benefits
- Learning & Tuition Reimbursement
- Parental Leave
- Offsites & Happy Hours
- Volunteering Benefits
Some Press About Us:
Our CEO, Will Marshall featured on TED and featured in a Planet Blog
Planet: Bringing Space Back Down to Earth
Tiny, privately owned satellites are changing how we view the Earth features in NBC News
Planet And Rocket Lab Create Mission Patch To Honor Women In Aerospace Planet Blog
Why we care so much about Belonging.
Were dedicated to helping the whole Planet, & to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices & on all of our teams. Thats why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity & inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but youre thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please... do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We dont just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill peoples careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope youre excited to come along for the ride.
Planet is committed to building a community where everyone belongs & we invite people from all backgrounds to apply. Planet is an equal opportunity employer, & committed to providing employment opportunities regardless of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, childbirth & breastfeeding, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected classification, in accordance with applicable federal, state, & local laws.
Planet is an inclusive community & we know that everyone has their own needs. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation during the interview process, please call Planet's front office at 669-214-9404 or contact your recruiter with your request. Your message will be confidential & we will be happy to assist you.