Have you ever wondered what happens inside the cloud?
Based in New York, DigitalOcean is a dynamic, high-growth technology company that serves a robust & passionate community of developers, teams, & businesses around the world. We believe that todays entrepreneurs are changing the world through software. Our mission is to empower these entrepreneurs by bringing modern app development within reach for any developer, anywhere in the world.
We want people who are passionate about building high performing teams that operate at scale
We are looking for a motivated & experienced technical manager to drive DigitalOceans fleet provisioning & tooling automation mission. This person will be responsible for motivating & growing engineers, working with engineering leads to evaluate performance & provide coaching where needed. This person will also have an understanding of virtualization, linux, operating system maintenance, fleet operations & automation. Reporting to the Sr. Engineering Manager of DigitalOceans Systems Engineering group, the Provisioning & Tooling Engineering Manager will lead the team responsible for the provisioning & tooling automation of bare metal servers composing DigitalOceans fleet.
As a rapidly growing cloud provider DigitalOceans need to automate provisioning & maintenance of bare metal hardware has become fundamental to the company's ability to scale. This position is an amazing opportunity to be a foundational part of building & scaling a developer focused modern cloud.
What Youll Be Doing:
- Recruiting, managing, & maintaining a world-class engineering team
- Responsible for the overall planning, execution, & success of complex technical projects
- Collaborating with technical leads & contributing to the overall architecture, design, & development of core projects related to reducing operational costs of fleet management
- Building & developing processes to continuously improve engineering performance & quality
- Working with internal operational teams to ensure successful creation of tooling including requirement analysis, capture, & documentation
- Supporting the professional goals & development opportunities for the entire team.
- Boosting communication & facilitating ongoing continuous feedback loops between engineers, the engineering leads & operational teams
- Providing coaching & counseling via mentoring, one-on-one meetings, etc
- Monitoring & reviewing each engineer's progress related to development goals & KPIs
- Organizing regular performance appraisals
- Planning & executing relevant training for the engineering team
What Well Expect From You:
- 2+ years of direct experience with managing, coaching, & mentoring software engineers
- 5+ years of experience in technical leadership
- Domain expertise in provisioning automation, linux distribution support & devops tooling
- Experience with large scaled virtualized environments
- Experience introducing & growing a quick release development environment with short cycles
- Good cross-disciplinary collaboration experience between engineering, technical operations, & internal stakeholders
- Solid knowledge of end-to-end quality best practices
- Experience with staffing, interviewing, retaining & building high performing teams
- Exceptional verbal & written communication skills
- Exceptional attention to detail & follow-up
Why Youll Like Working for DigitalOcean:
- We have amazing people. We can promise you will work with some of the smartest & most interesting people in the industry. We work hard but we always have fun doing it. We care deeply about each other & take our no jerks rule very seriously.
- We value development. We are a high-performance organization that is always challenging ourselves to continuously grow. That means we maintain a growth mindset in everything we do & invest deeply in employee development. Youll need to be great to get hired here & we promise youll get even better.
- We care about you. We offer competitive health, dental, & vision benefits for employees & their dependents, a monthly gym reimbursement to support your physical health, & a monthly commute allowance to make your trips to & from work easier.
- We invest in your future. We offer competitive compensation & a 401k plan with up to a 4% employer match. We also provide all employees with reimbursement for relevant conferences, training, & education.
- We want you to love where you work. We have great office spaces located in the heart of SoHo NYC & Cambridge & offer daily catered lunches to keep your hunger at bay. Were also very remote-friendlywe use Slack to communicate across the companyand all remote employees have the opportunity to onboard in-office & take an all-expenses paid trip to our annual company offsite, Shark Week, to get quality in-person time with the team at least once a year. We also allow employees to customize their workstations to meet their needswhether remote or in office.
- We value diversity & inclusivity. We are an equal opportunity employer & we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Want to learn more about our Engineering team? Clickhere!
Want an inside look into life at DO? Clickhere to hear from our employees!