Betterment is hiring a Lead Engineer for our iOS team. Our team's mission is to create the most streamlined & intuitive mobile investing experience possible to allow our customers to make the most of their money. We partner with User Experience & Product Management teams to build features using native mobile technologies that enable our customers to meet their financial goals.
About the right team member:
You are passionate about tackling complex product & technical problems. You believe that by leveraging technology you can empower others. You are excited to work in an environment where you get to work with cross-functional teams that span the entire company. You thrive under pressure concurrent projects & tight deadlines sound fun to tackle! You love to learn & to share your expertise with others in an open, collaborative environment.
At Betterment you will get to:
- Build things people love. Our goal is to delight our customers whenever possible. Sleek design, efficient workflows, simple user experience, & access to sophisticated advice.
- Solve challenging problems & change an industry while you do it.
- Take your ideas to the next level right away & see the impact you can have. We experiment, iterate, learn, & repeat.
- Collaborate, with purpose. Youll work in small groups with other talented thinkers & figure out how to make Betterments revolutionary software even better.
- Gain trust through transparency. We believe in taking the guesswork out of investing.
- That means a consistent experience for our customers youll build the tools to make it possible. We already have the best UX in the business. Lets make it even better.
- Work with people who care. Were a group of talented professionals who pride ourselves on what we do. Were smart, innovative, energetic, & fun.
You will be effective if you have:
- 4+ years of experience building native iOS applications, 2+ years working with Swift
- Have experience in at least one server-side language - Ruby, Java, C#, C++, Python
- Experience building product features, as well as frameworks that enable the efficient creation of robust customer experiences
- A strong desire to help lead initiatives to ensure we are providing as much value as possible to our customers
- A passion for software engineering, & for creating what doesnt exist
- Know how to make the tradeoffs required to ship without compromising quality
- An appreciation for agility & thoughtful pragmatism in software development
- Realize that automated tests are a worthwhile investment
- A strong command of fundamental algorithms & data structures
- The ability to thrive in a startup environment
- This role is based in NYC (open to remote)
Technologies you will use:
- We primarily program in Swift with occasional Objective-C
- We build our APIs with Ruby on Rails
- We always choose the right tool or framework for the job; some of our favorites are RxSwift & Lottie
- Reactive & functional patterns (we recently hosted the 2018 Functional Swift Conference)
- We strive to align our iOS & Android apps together, an interest in Java/Kotlin is a plus
Betterment is the largest independent online financial advisor with more than $15 billion in assets under management. The service is designed to help increase customers long-term returns & lower taxes for retirement planning, building wealth, & other financial goals. Betterment takes advanced investment strategies & uses technology to deliver them to more than 380,000 customers across its three business lines: direct-to-consumer, Betterment for Advisors, & Betterment for Business. Learn more.
Come join us!
Were an equal opportunity employer & comply with all applicable federal, state, & local fair employment practices laws.We strictly prohibit & do not tolerate discrimination against employees, applicants, or any other covered persons because of race, color, religion, creed, national origin or ancestry, ethnicity, sex, gender (including gender nonconformity & status as a transgender or transsexual individual), sexual orientation, marital status, age, physical or mental disability, citizenship, past, current or prospective service in the uniformed services, predisposing genetic characteristic, domestic violence victim status, arrest records, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state or local law.