At Oscar, we are re-envisioning healthcare by bringing technologists & industry experts together. We believe that great technology can revolutionize the operations & infrastructure underlying todays healthcare & insurance systems, & is key to delivering transformative experiences for our members & the medical experts who provide their care. Oscar engineers work on some of the most challenging problems in tech helping users navigate the complex health industry through beautiful user applications, elegant distributed system design, making sense of noisy data, statistical learning, & language theory. We invest in our people, our tools, & our processes so we can focus on solving big problems while learning from one another.
About Provider Data:
Rich data about hospital systems, medical providers, & provider networks drive the most fundamental processes in the healthcare system. Its at the center of our ability to build our provider directory, surface care options on Oscars apps, process claims, & coordinate care. The Provider Data engineering teams build systems that serve as the source of truth for a myriad of data points about our physicians, hospitals, networks, their capabilities & their relationships.
We are looking for an engineering leader with deep expertise in building batch & dynamic data pipelines for organizing multi-entity data models & the relationships among them, as well as RPC services to expose provider-related functionality to stakeholder teams. Technical skills we are looking for include:
- Experience with a variety of storage strategies including object stores, columnar databases, & RDBMS, with an understanding of data locality & sharding characteristics in disparate systems.
- Mitigating & correcting for noisy or incomplete data.
- Serialization protocols such as Protobuf, Thrift, Avro a plus.
- Experience with machine learning is a plus.
Management at Oscar:
People managers are also technical leaders at Oscar its part of our cultural identity. As such, we strive to support managers such that half of their time can be spent directly making technical contributions on architectural plans, helpful code reviews, & writing their own code. A manager doesnt have to be the strongest technical contributor on their team, but we expect the right person for this role to be able to produce technical work that exceeds our senior level & has significant experience developing complex data pipelines as a hands-on engineer.
Specific management responsibilities include:
- Coaching & mentorship. Ensure everyone on your team is getting clear, constructive, & frequent feedback on their work & that they have the support they need to grow as technical contributors.
- Career development. Understand the aspirations of your teammates & help them to take on more responsibility for the work they are most passionate about.
- Team execution. You are ultimately responsible for the overall performance of your teams, which can be minimally defined as ensuring the right objectives for the team are established, & that they are met at the right time. But wed really like you to help your teams knock it out of the park.
You wont be on your own. Engineering management is a critical & complex role that we take very seriously at Oscar & we support each other to do it well.
This role will be reporting into an Engineering leader in our NYC office.
- You have 10+ years of software engineering experience, including prior management experience.
- You make the people & teams around you better through mentorship, collaboration, & guiding developers towards best practices.
- You believe that team performance is even more important than individual performance, & have a track record of leading & managing high-functioning teams.
- You understand the inclusion part of Diversity & Inclusion & can help us improve & maintain a great culture where the best ideas prevail.
Above all else, you demonstrate:
- A friendly, thoughtful, & kind approach.
- Humility, maturity, & lack of ego.
- An open mind, while ready with a point of view.
Life at Oscar:
At Oscar, being an Equal Opportunity Employer means more than upholding discrimination-free hiring practices. It means that we cultivate an environment where people can be their most authentic selves & find both belonging & support. Were on a mission to change health care -- an experience made whole by our unique backgrounds & perspectives.
We encourage our members to care for their whole selves, & we encourage our employees to do the same with comprehensive medical benefits, generous paid-time off, paid parental leave, retirement plans, company social events, stocked kitchens, wellness programs, & volunteer opportunities.
Oscar applicants are considered solely based on their qualifications, without regard to the applicant's disability or need for accommodation. Any Oscar applicant who requires reasonable accommodations during the application process should contact the Oscar Benefits Team (email@example.com) to make the need for an accommodation known.
Pay Transparency Policy:
Oscar ensures that you won't be discharged or discriminated against based on whether you've inquired about, discussed, or disclosed your pay. Read the full policy here.