Want to help people get the financial protection they need & feel confident in their choices? Policygenius is a NYC-based tech startup that makes it easy to compare & buy all types of insurance online. Since 2014, weve become the nation's leading insurance marketplace, raising over $52 million of venture capital & helping more than 5 million people get vital coverage for their families.
We're growing rapidly & looking for people with grit, great attitudes & creative problem-solving skills to join our powerhouse team. Come see why weve been voted one of INC's best workplaces two years in a row!
About the role...
Policygenius continues to disrupt the insurance industry by delivering innovative technology-driven experiences. Our talented yet humble software engineering team is dogma-free & experiment driven. We are relentless in our drive to reliably deliver outstanding products at scale. We are growing fast, but we can go further faster with experienced, collaborative, challenge-seeking engineering leaders like yourself.
As the Head of Data Engineering you will build & own the machine learning & data engineering strategy at Policygenius. You will forge the technical vision for your team. You are a servant leader who focuses on technical mentorship & coaching. You work with feature teams, helping them learn & adapt to a changing environment. You help developers & managers find technical & leadership opportunities. You plan strategic engineering initiatives to move the tech organization forward. Above all, you are a change agent who pushes yourself & those around you for excellence.
- Build a sophisticated data team that can tackle the next stage of challenges facing Policygenius
- Coach data engineers, data scientists, & other engineering managers to help them realize their potential
- Develop & execute on the technical vision for our data products both internal & customer facing (e.g. our quoting engine, 3rd party ETL integrations, user segmentation models)
- Take our data infrastructure to the next level with more robust testing environments & DevSecOps best practices
- Drive technical decisions on a multi-functional, Agile team alongside product management & business intelligence analysts
- Facilitate design workshops to guide the development of a scalable & high quality architecture
- Experiment with an open-minded team that is always exploring new technologies
- Ship exceptional products that people love! (were proud to be building a company that has customers who consistently refer their friends & family, with an industry-leading NPS of ~75!)
- 9+ years of experience as a software engineer and/or data engineer, designing data warehousing, ETL, & ML modeling architectures
- 4+ years managing data engineering and/or data science teams, with bonus points if you have built them from scratch
- Experience coaching engineering managers & a proven track record of mentoring & developing the careers of data engineers and/or data scientists
- Successfully driven the development & implementation of a technical vision
- Forged strong partnerships with product managers
- Strong communication skills & the ability to comfortably articulate your thoughts & decisions
- The ability to thrive in a startup environment
- Experience working in an agile environment
- Company-paid health, dental, vision, life & disability insurance
- 401(k) plan, FSA & commuter benefits
- Flexible PTO [for relevant roles]
- Training, mentorship & coaching from leadership
- The opportunity to grow alongside a company shaking up a big, old-fashioned industry
- Fun, diverse, open-minded coworkers
- Dog companionship
- Some fun surprises when you join (Shhh Its a secret!)
Technologies You Will Use
Python, Airflow, BigQuery, Tableau, PostgreSQL, Google Cloud Products including Dataflow, Pub/Sub, Datalab (Jupyter Notebook)AutoML, BQML, Cloud Functions, Cloud Build, Cloud SQL, Storage Bucket, Buildkite, Docker, Git
Policygenius currently spends much of its time using these tools, but were committed to working on the right tech for the job, & always open to fresh ideas, new technologies, & better ways of getting things done.