Have you ever tried to hire a plumber? How about a house cleaner? If you have, chances are it took you way longer than it should. In the era of instant-everything, you shouldnt have to waste an entire afternoon researching, calling & vetting local service professionals whenever you need one. The market for hiring them is huge $1 trillion in the US alone but the process is inefficient & largely offline.
Thumbtack is transforming this experience end-to-end, building a marketplace that matches millions of people with local pros for almost any project. In making these connections, not only do our customers get more done every day, our pros are able to grow their businesses & make a living doing what theyre great at.
These customers & pros come from all walks of life & every county in the country. We want our team to reflect that. If you come from an underrepresented background in tech, we strongly encourage you to apply. We challenge ourselves every day to make this a place where you can thrive just the way you are, so we can build a product that does the same for our customers & pros.
About the Design Team
We're a tight-knit team of product designers, researchers, & product writers working closely with engineers & product managers to research, explore, & iterate on well-crafted user experiences that are innovative, engaging, & delightful. We collaborate regularly through design reviews, work sessions, & presentations to inspire & influence the direction of the product & company as a whole.
About the Role
As a Senior Product Designer, youll work collaboratively & iteratively to turn complex problems into intuitive user experiences. Youll own projects from conception to launch & measure success through data & user research. Youll play a key role in roadmapping, feature design, & the quality of our products, & your work will impact both user & business goals.
- Design intuitive, human-centric flows & experiences on web, iOS, & Android
- Collaborate closely with fellow designers, product managers, & engineers
- Use research & qualitative data to guide design & development decisions
- Analyze the success of your solutions & iterate
- Contribute to the visual design of our patterns & design system
- Present work & use design to build alignment & influence product direction
- Contribute to high-level strategic decisions with the product & executive teams
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, & we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
- 4+ years of experience
- Portfolio with a history of impactful projects that showcase your design process
- Strong UX, interaction, & visual design skills
- Human-centric approach to designing products
- A bias for action & tenacious focus on how your work impacts users & the business
- Strong cross-functional collaboration & communication skills
- Fluency in commonly used design software & related tools (Sketch or Figma, Adobe CS, etc.)
- Experience leading / mentoring other designers
- Experience with helping set product strategy through methods like design sprints, quarterly or yearly planning, & team brainstorms
- Experience setting a vision for a product experience
- Experience designing for a two-sided marketplace
- Prototyping skills (using Invision, HTML, CSS, Framer, Principle, etc.)
- Conceptual understanding of popular front-end frameworks like Angular & React
More About Us
Thumbtack is a local services marketplace one of the largest in the U.S. that helps millions of people hire local professionals. With hundreds of unique service categories, customers can find a Thumbtack pro for almost anything: landscapers, electricians, personal trainers, even math tutors. And in making these connections, we empower local pros too. Helping them get new customers & make a living doing what theyre great at.
Founded in 2008 & headquartered in San Francisco, Thumbtack is backed by over $400 million in investment from Sequoia Capital, CapitalG, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners & Baillie Gifford.
Thumbtack is a virtual-first company, meaning you can live & work from any one of our approved locations across the United States, Ontario or the Philippines. When it is safe to gather, we will begin to host in-person events on a regular basis. Remote employees will be expected to travel occasionally for these events to a Thumbtack library or offsite team-building location. Additionally, employees in the San Francisco, Salt Lake City, Toronto & Manila areas will have opt-in access to communal workspace at one of our Thumbtack libraries.
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace & do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest & conviction records.