Databases are the beating heart of every business in the world.
Cockroach Labs is the team behind CockroachDB, an open source, distributed SQL database. We aim to build infrastructure that keeps pace with the world, so developers can focus on what matters most: building the best products. Join us on our mission to Make Data Easy. Are you ready to aim high & build to last?
About the Role
We're looking for web frontend software engineers to join our team.
- You will design, code, & test the web frontend used to deploy & manage CockroachDB. You will bring your expertise to the table to provide the best user experience to our users, partners, & customers.
- You will collaborate with web designers, product managers, & customers to create user friendly experience to deploy, manage, monitor CockroachDB.
In your first 30 days, you will become familiar with our technology & our company. Your first project will be on the frontend. We want to be able to showcase the functionality of CockroachDB to our customers by providing a rich window into the data through our graphical user interface.
After 3 months, you'll be fully integrated into the team. You will be comfortable contributing to CockroachDB's full web stack from the GUI to the frontend webserver & attached services. As our team grows, you will have the opportunity to shape the direction of development for CockroachDB. We want our users to have a phenomenal experience using our product, & you are an important part of making CockroachDB a joy to use.
- A passion for working on complex technical products. You have familiarity with the full web stack, including protocols & web server optimization techniques.
- Developed web design skills & user experience fundamentals knowledge.
- 4 or more years experience with experience with frontend technologies and/or frameworks
- A passion for building relationships with your colleagues. You enjoy being part of the code review process & partnering with your teammates on challenging problems.
- A BS in Computer Science or equivalent experience.
Peter Mattis - Co-founder & VP of Engineering
Peter is the cofounder of Cockroach Labs where he works on a bit of everything, from low level optimization of code to refining the overall design. He has worked on distributed systems for most of his career, designing & implementing the original Gmail backend search & storage system at Google & designing & implementing Colossus, the successor to Google's original distributed file system. In his university days he was one of the original authors of the GIMP & is still amazed when people tell him they use it frequently.
Reporting to Kendra Curtis - Engineering Manager
Kendra has 20+years of experience in all levels of the software stack, from early days writing firmware for wireless networking products at Wi-LAN, to managing teams of developers building Web Applications at Google. Kendra worked on Google's early data centers. She was a member of the Management team responsible for the integration of DoubleClick (DCLK) into Google. She was a Co-founder & CEO of Scout It Out, a listing service for Rehearsal Spaces. Kendra joined Cockroach Labs because she loves building great teams & values work-life balance. Outside of work she enjoys skiing, acting, & walking in the park with her dog Lady
- 100% health insurance coverage (for you & your dependents!)
- Paid parental leave (with baby bucks)
- Flex Fridays
- Flexible time off & flexible hours
- Education reimbursement
- Relocation support
Cockroach Labs is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer building a diverse & inclusive workforce. If you need additional accommodations to feel comfortable during your interview process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.