BuzzFeed is the worlds leading independent digital media & tech company, with a cross-platform news & entertainment network that reaches hundreds of millions of people globally & spreads Joy & Truth across the internet.
Our portfolio of brands are household names that people rely on to inform & entertain, including: BuzzFeed, BuzzFeed News, Tasty, Nifty, Bring Me, Cocoa Butter, Pero Like, Worth It, & Unsolved to name a few! These properties & their Creators reach over 134M people a month through articles, lists, videos, animations, quizzes, podcasts, original series, newsletters & more.
BuzzFeed is looking for a travel editor for a full-time, six-month contract position on our US team (with possibility to extend). BuzzFeed's travel & experience brand Bring Me! is a growing editorial endeavor that creates service-oriented, inspiring, & entertaining content for a travel-loving audience.
You are an experienced & conversational writer & editor with talent in travel- & lifestyle-related content & a knack for making people want to book a trip. You have a strong editorial POV & the skills to navigate the ever-changing travel landscape in a responsible & ethical way. Youll help our audience avoid the tourist traps to discover unique experiences around the world through entertaining & informative formats, from destination roundups to hotel reviews to identity-driven travel guides. If you're the type of person who has spent their quarantine in a constant state of wanderlust, is constantly being asked to send their travel tips to friends & family, & plans to use every holiday & PTO day as an opportunity to visit somewhere new (once the world reopens), we'd love to hear from you!
- Lead the strategy for BuzzFeeds travel content
- Write, edit, & commission travel posts that are shareable, helpful, entertaining, & SEO-friendly & cater to a diverse audience
- Stay up to date with happenings in the travel industry & broader cultural, political, & global news that affects travel
- Research accommodation in various locations, categories, & price points that are of interest to the BuzzFeed audience
- Develop new post formats designed to drive travel bookings
- Monitor & analyze your posts' site traffic & affiliate performance (if applicable)
- Manage a small freelance network
- Previous experience editing or writing about travel for a magazine or website (or exemplary blogging/writing experience)
- Strong attention to detail
- Flawless spelling, grammar, & usage in your writing
- An understanding of BuzzFeeds voice & diverse audience (primarily Gen Z & Millennial)
- Genuine love for the internet & travel
- Previous experience writing affiliate content & a network of freelance writers with expertise in travel a big plus
FYI just because you dont meet every requirement doesnt mean we dont want to hear from you. If you think youd be a good fit for the job anyway, use your application to show us why!
- In lieu of a traditional cover letter, please include a response to the following with your application:
- Discuss your travel habits (e.g.: what influences your decision to visit a destination, how do you find unique things to do, how do you find a good deal, what ~special tricks~ do you use that most people dont know about, etc.).
- Tell us about a couple of places youve visited that youre obsessed.
- Include links to any relevant previous work, social media profiles, or portfolios.
All job applications must be received through the official BuzzFeed Jobs board (https://www.buzzfeed.com/about/jobs), including referrals. It is BuzzFeed's practice to not schedule job interviews until after an application is submitted through our jobs board.
Life at BuzzFeed
At BuzzFeed, we believe we benefit from the diverse perspectives within & across our teams. As such, BuzzFeed celebrates inclusion & is committed to equal opportunity employment practices.
BuzzFeed is the worlds leading tech-powered media company, with a cross-platform news & entertainment network that reaches hundreds of millions of people globally. The company aims to spread truth & joy across the internet by producing articles, lists, quizzes, videos, original series; lifestyle content through brands including Tasty, the worlds largest social food network; original reporting & investigative journalism through BuzzFeed News; strategic partnerships, licensing & product development through BuzzFeed Marketing; & original productions across broadcast, cable, SVOD, film & digital platforms for BuzzFeed Studios.
BuzzFeed is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, & will not be discriminated against based on age, race, gender, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, disability or any other protected category.