Who We Are
Summer's mission is to help the 45 million Americans burdened by student debt save time & money through smart, algorithm-based recommendations. Summer combines policy expertise & innovative technology to serve student loan borrowers across the country. Our founding team draws on years of experience in public policy, law, consumer finance, & engineering to tackle one of the greatest challenges of our generation.
We're registered as a public benefit corporation as part of our commitment to helping all borrowers improve their financial health through better repayment strategies. We recently raised our Series A & are backed by a team of world-class investors, including General Catalyst, NextView, Greycroft, Foundation Capital, Story Ventures, & QED Investors-and our first partner is Yale University.
As a Product Designer, you will have the opportunity to use UX design & research to elevate Summer's customer experience from end to end. You will collaborate with the product & marketing teams to imagine & deliver delightful experiences to our borrowers, partners, & internal users. Your role at Summer:
- Understand & optimize the user experience across various channels
- Advocate for student loan borrowers, ensuring that our products are user-friendly & intuitive
- Design & validate new user flows by testing your wireframes & prototypes
- Conduct & synthesize user research methods to validate designs
- Identify qualitative & quantitative insights from user research data & business analytics to improve product decisions
- Collaborate closely with multi-disciplinary teams, including design, engineering & product to develop elegant & practical solutions
- Adhere to our design system & brand guidelines, ensuring a high level of quality & establishing a consistent look & feel throughout the product
- Embrace change & ambiguity to solve real societal problems
- 5+ years of product/UX design experience for web including responsive design, preferably including time at an early-stage startup
- Experience designing for the web & understanding how to apply both form & function while maintaining simplicity
- Portfolio demonstrating your experience developing products from conception to code-from prototyping, user testing & rapid iteration cycles to communicating elegant visual solutions
- A deep understanding of composition, balance, symmetry, & white space
- Self-starter who actively seeks ways to make the Summer experience both visually appealing & easy to use
- Expertise in Sketch, InVision, Zeplin, Principle/Framer (After Effects experience a plus)
- Practical understanding of front-end programming to clearly communicate with engineers & translate your designs effectively into code
Your portfolio should include examples of your product design work that illustrate the entire process with successes & failures along the way & showcase your user-centered, data-informed design process.
Values + Benefits
We're proud to be a mission-driven company with an inclusive culture. Our greatest asset is the set of values our team strives to embody every day in our office (located next to Grand Central): empathy, diversity, growth, determination, humility, & fun. Read more about what these mean to us at https://www.meetsummer.org/careers
We also offer significant equity allocations, healthcare coverage, & flexible vacation/PTO.
Sound interesting? We look forward to hearing from you. Join us to help fix the system!