WHO ARE WE?
Our goal is keep Bark's pups out of the doghouse by providing top-notch counsel & representation to all departments across the company. We impart industry-specific best practices relating to risk management, commercial contracts, regulatory compliance, business growth, strategic planning, corporate governance, code of ethics... ok, it's a lot, but you get the point. Need a hand? Reach out! Were well-trained & play well with others.
WHO WERE LOOKING FOR
We are looking for that business-minded attorney who wants a broad in-house experience & is interested in working for every dogs favorite company. This job is not for the faint of heart. You will be supporting & working across all businesses touching on a wide range of legal subjects. Get ready to roll up your sleeves & learn some new tricks & be more than just a lawyer answering legal questions. In this role, you have to understand the business in order to ensure that your advice & guidance helps the company achieve its goals.
- Work closely with the General Counsel & business leaders across the company to help shape & improve our legal process & help us continue to grow the business in a responsible & sustainable manner.
- Review, negotiate, & draft a wide range of commercial agreements including vendor agreements, supply agreements, logistics, NDAs, social media influencer contacts, contractor agreements, SaaS agreements, & many more.
- Collaborate with internal & external resources on regulatory & privacy matters, brand protection, IP work, employment issues, & disputes.
- Develop risk-management techniques & strategies.
- Propose proactive solutions & practical advice to help BARK continue to scale at pace.
- Assist with SEC compliance & corporate governance work.
- Work effectively & efficiently with outside counsel.
- Anticipate, investigate, & evaluate different legal & regulatory challenges that might affect our business.
- Stay curious & current about legal issues relevant to the business.
- JD from an ABA-accredited law school.
- 5-8 years of broad legal/generalist experience.
- Commercial contract experience is a must. We need someone who knows their way around a good legal document.
SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
- Ability to work quickly & handle multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong interpersonal skills & an ability to partner with internal business clients.
- Must be able to effectively triage & prioritize work.
- Sound business judgment & an ability to provide practical, effective legal advice.
- Ability to communicate legal issues in plain English.
- Willingness & ability to learn new skills.
- Responsive with a service-first attitude.
- Must be able to work independently while also being a good team player.
- Gets things done & has fun doing it.
- Must love dogs. Fluency in dog is a bonus!
- A sense of humor.
- Abundant curiosity.
- Some experience working in-house sure wouldnt hurt.
- If youve worked for or represented clients in the pet industry or other CPG businesses, or if youve worked in e-commerce, we want to hear about it.
This position is a full-time, exempt position. You can work out of any of our offices or remote. We offer health insurance for both you & your pup, 401k, wonderful team lunches, cold brew on tap, & a dog to pet anytime you wish.
Here at BARK, we love dogs & their people. Were looking to make all dogs happy throughout the entire world (were not kidding). Think Disney for dogs -- we make magic for dogs & their people through our products, events, & experiences.
Our ambition level is high, the opportunity is huge, & our love for dogs is through the roof! We launched in 2011 with BarkBox, a monthly-themed subscription of all-natural treats & clever toys. Since then, we've shipped more than 70 million toys & treats to the dogs across the world & use all of that direct customer feedback to inform new initiatives & ways to make magic between dogs & their people. Weve since expanded into other offerings as well, as we aim to become THE Dog Company for every family with a four-legged, belly-scratch-loving, interspecies family member.